Completed as of October 1, 2020:
- Recruiting additional direct male-line Robert Bartlett descendants for further SNP testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact MayflowerDNA1620@gmail.com
- Y-SNP tested to P312>>U152>Z56>BY3548>Z43>Z145>BY1823>BY28794>PF6582>PF6577>BY3953>BY142576 (with some descendants falling under BY142576>BY166945)
For more information see: Wakefield, Robert S., Robert Bartlett of the "Anne" and his Descendants of Four Generations
Robert Bartlett was born about 1602. His first known record is his emigration to New Plimouth Colony in 1623 aboard the Anne. Robert married about 1630 to Mary Warren, who also came to New Plimouth Colony aboard the Anne. They continued to live in Plymouth, where Robert wrote his will 19 Sep 1676, which was probated 29 Oct 1676. His wife, Mary, survived him, and her last known record was in 1677. A 1683 record by her sons called her then deceased.
Benjamin Bartlett was born Plymouth before Jun 1633 and died Duxbury between 21- 28 Aug 1691. He married three times, first Susanna Jenney who died (without issue) bef 8 Apr 1654. He married second prob. bef 8 Aug 1655, Sarah Brewster, daughter of Love Brewster and granddaughter of (Elder) William Brewster. Sarah was living as late as 5 Mar 1667/8 but Benjamin married third, bef 21 Jan 1678/9 to Cecilia _____ (she survived her husband). Benjamin had six children; the first three are known to be by his second wife, but it is currently unknown which wife was the mother of the youngest three: Benjamin (1658), Samuel (c1662), Rebecca (b1664), Ebenezer (b1670), Sarah (c1671) and Ichabod (b1674).
Joseph Bartlett was born in Plymouth about 1639 and died at Plymouth (Manomet) 18 Feb 1711[/2] "in ye 73d Year of his Age." He married Plymouth about 1662 Hannah Pope who was born 17 Aug 1639. Joseph and Hannah had five children: Robert (c1663), Joseph (1665), Elnathan (c1667, never married) Mary (c1669), Hannah (1671), Sarah (c1676), Benjamin (1679) and Thomas (1683-b1712 unm.)
Benjamin Bartlett was likely born Duxbury abt 1657 and died there between 10 Apr 1722 and 10 Apr 1724. He married there Dec 167[8?] Ruth Pabodie and they had nine children (born Duxbury): Robert (1679, not in father's will), Sarah (1681), Rebecca (c1683), Ruth, William (1695 m. Sarah Foster), Mercy (c1694), Priscilla (1696/7), Deborah and Abigail (c1702).
Samuel Bartlett was prob. born Duxbury abt 1662 and died there bef 9 Dec 1713. He married 2 Aug 1683 Hannah Pabodie They had eight children (born Duxbury): Benjamin (1684 never married), Joseph (1686 m. Lydia Nelson & Sarah Simmons), Hannah (c1690), Samuel (c1692 m. Hannah Churchill), Ichabod (1693 m. Susannah Spooner), Lydia (c1696), Elizabeth (1700) and Sarah (p1700).
Ebenezer Bartlett was prob. born Duxbury abt 1666 and died there bef 1 Mar 1697/8. He married Hannah _____ and they had two children (born Duxbury): Ebenezer (1694 m. Mary Rider & Jerusha Samson) and Nathaniel (likely never married).
Ichabod Bartlett was born bet Sep 1670 - May 1674 and is said to have died bef 1 Jan 1715/6. He married twice, first Marshfield 28 Dec 1699 Elizabeth Waterman and second Duxbury 14 Nov 1708 Desire Arnold. By his first wife, Ichabod had (born Marshfield): Josiah (1701 m. Mercy Chandler), Nathaniel (1703 m. Abiah Delano, no known children), Joseph (1706 m. Sarah Seabury) and Elizabeth (1708). By his second wife he had: Sarah (1710) and Seth (bp 1713 m. Charity Gullifer & Martha Bourne, but likely had no children by either marriage.)
Robert Bartlett was born Plymouth about 1633 and died there 3 Jan 171[7/8]. He married twice, first Plymouth 28 Dec 1687 Sarah Bartlett (d 1688, no children) and second Sarah Cooke. By his second wife, Robert had thirteen children: Hannah (1691/2), Thomas (1693/4 m. Abigail Phinney, no children), John (1696 m. Sarah Cobb, Sarah LEWIS Gray & Sarah Seabury), infant son (1698), Sarah (1699), James (1701-1722/3 unm), Joseph (1703/4 m. Sarah Morton), Elizabeth (1706/7), William (1709-1710), Ebenezer (1710 m. Rebecca Dimmon & Abigail Finney), Robert (1713 m. Rebecca Wood, Jean Spooner, Hopsestill Seabury & Anne Godfrey), and Lemuel (1715 m. Mary Doty).
Joseph Bartlett was born Plymouth 18 Apr 1665 and died there 9 Apr 1703. He married Plymouth 6 Jun 1692 Lydia Griswold Joseph and Lydia had: Joseph (1693 m. Elizabeth Bartlett), Samuel (1696 m. Elizabeth Lothrop & Elizabeth LOTHROP Wetherell), Lydia (1697/8), Benjamin (1699 m. Lydia Morton & Abigail PRATT Morton) and Sarah (1702/3).
Benjamin Bartlett was born Plymouth 6 Dec 1679 and died there 11 Mar 1717. He married Sarah Barnes and they had eight children: Nathaniel (1703 m. Abigail Clark & Rebecca Ellis), Jonathan (1704/5 m. Thankful Barnes), Benjamin (1706/7 m. Hannah Stephens), Joseph (1709 m. Jane Swift), Hannah (1710/1), and Sarah (1713).
- [https://pilgrimhall.org/robert_mary_bartlett.htm Pilgrim Hall Muesum biography of Robert and Mary
- While various sources state Robert was probably baptized at Puddletown, Dorset, England 27 May 1603, the Society of the Descendants of Robert Bartlett of Plymouth, Massachusetts biography for Robert stated "DNA research does not substantiate this conclusion at this time." However, this compiler does not see any English Bartletts in the project to support this claim.
- He was admitted Freeman 6 Jun 1654, and must have then been at least aged 21.
- Date of will and inventory MD 6:44-49
- Will of Susanna's mother
- codicil of prev. will
- Named in Court case.
- Third wife signed over dower rights in deed
- Deed and oath of witnesses to his will.
- MD 8:232 VRs:217 partially illegible, last digit poss. a 6 or 8.
- Estimate, from date married
- Adm. of estate
- After Samuel's death, Hannah married Plymouth 4 Mar 1715 John Churchill.
- Inventory, which mentions wife, Hannah.
- Called Hannah, daughter of John Bryant in Bartlett Genealogy Database
- Aged 14-21 when his father died (1691) as he chose his uncle to be his guardian.
- VRs p. 42
- VRs p. 246
- gravestone (Burial Hill) stated died in ye 55th year of his age
- gravestone, Burial Hill, said to be the oldest surviving gravestone in this cemetery.
- After Joseph's death, Lydia married Plymouth 25 Jan 1705 Joseph Holmes
- gravestone, White Horse Cemetery
DNA results R-BY142576
Previous Y-DNA testing
As of 1 Jan 2022, the Bartlett DNA Project Subgroup: "RF Plymouth, MA & TN" has 29 individuals, all who are close STR matches with each other and 10 individuals stating their Most Distant Known Patrilineal (all male line) Ancestor (MDKPA) was Richard Bartlett. Six individuals descended from Robert Bartlett have apparently taken a Big Y test and four of these individuals show P312>>U152>Z56>BY3548>Z43>Z145>BY1823>BY28794>PF6582>PF6577>BY3953>BY142576 as their haplogroup, with the other two showing BY166945 (a subclade of BY142576) as their haplogroup.
Several individuals in the Bartlett DNA Project have undergone Big Y testing. There are several individuals who have not been able to trace their "paper trail" back to Robert Bartlett, but whose Big Y test results clearly indicate where they do in fact descend in a Y-DNA line from Robert. These individuals are not currently listed on the below chart, but efforts will continue on attempting to place them.
Lines of Y-DNA tested individuals
The following diagram lists those Y-DNA descendants of Robert Barlett who have done Y-DNA testing. Those individuals in Bold text have taken a NGS/WGS test (like the Big Y or Y-Elite) and those individuals in Italic text are individual's whose DNA results show they are not a Y-DNA descendant of Robert Bartlett. The other individuals have taken either Y-STR and/or Y-SNP testing, but have not taken any NGS/WGS test.
Robert1 (1603 ENG - 1676 PC) Benjamin2 (1633 PC - c1691) Samuel3 (1660 - bef 1713) Samuel (II)4 (1691 - 1750 MA) Samuel (III)5 (1726 - 1780) John6 (1760 NC - ) Nathaniel6 (1769 MA - ) Ichabod3 (1661 ) Josiah4 (1701 MA - 1782 CT) _____5 Joseph4 (1706 MA - 1783 MA) John5 (1748 MA - 1820 MA) Joseph Shurtleff B.6 (1796 MA - 1875 KY) John Porter B.7 (1829 TN - 1878 AR) Joseph Anson B.8 (1857 AR - ) John Columbus Porter B.8 (1862 AR - ) Ebenezer3 (c1670 - 1698) Ebenezer (II)4 (1694 - ) Joseph2 (1639 PC - 1712 MA) Joseph (II)3 (1665 PC - 1703 ) Joseph (III)4 (1693 - 1756 ) Sylvanus5 (1719 - 1811 ) Sylvanus (II)6 (1756 - 1829 ) Zaccheus5 (1724/5 - 1800 MA) Joseph6 (1762 -1834 MA) Joseph B.7 (1784 MA -1854 NY) George8 (1822 NY - 1905 NY) Franklin James B.9 (1868 NY - 1952 NY) Ellis Rawson B.10 (1902 NY - 1970 NY) Benjamin3 (1679 - 1716/7 ) Nathaniel4 (1703 - bef 1776 )
References & External Links
- Wakefield, Robert S., Robert Bartlett of the "Anne" and his Descendants of Four Generations General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA 2nd ed. 2000
- Wakefield, Robert S., Mayflower Families through Five Generations: vol. 18 Warren part 2 (Fifth Generation of descendants of daughters Mary, Anna & Elizabeth) General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA 2011
- Merrick, Barbara Lambert, ed. Scott Albert Bartley, Mayflower Families through Five Generations: vol. 24 Brewster part 1, General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA, 2014
- Society of the Descendants of Robert Bartlett of Plymouth Massachusetts
- Pilgrim Hall biography for Robert & Mary
- Robert Bartlett descendants genealogy database