Faith Clarke (mtDNA)
As of September 26, 2020
- Page created for Faith Clarke, second wife of Edward Doty
- recruitment of individuals who are mtDNA descendants of Faith (Clarke) Doty. Folks who are mtDNA descendants are encouraged to contact MayflowerDNA1620@gmail.com
For more information see: Hill, Peter B., Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: vol. 11 Doty
Faith Clarke was born about 1619, the daughter of Thurston Clarke & Faith Loes. The family left the port of Ipswich, Suffolk, England at the end of April 1634 aboard the ship Francis and arrived in Plymouth sometime during the summer. Faith married Edward Doty at Plymouth on 6 Jan 1634/5. They continued to live in Plymouth until her husband's death on 23 Aug 1655. She married second, Plymouth, 14 Mar 1666/7 John Phillips. She was buried at Marshfield on 21 Dec 1675.
Edward and Faith had nine children: Edward, John, Thomas, Samuel, Desire, Elizabeth, Isaac, Joseph and Mary
Desire Doty was born Plymouth about 1645 and died at Marshfield 22 Jan 1731, aged 86. She married three times, first to William Sherman 25 Dec 1667 Marshfield Her second marriage was Marshfield 24 Nov 1681 to Israel Holmes. Her final marriage by 1689 was to Alexander Standish , son of Mayflower passenger Myles Standish.
Desire and her first husband (William Sherman) had six children: Hannah, Elizabeth (1671-1695 never married), William, Patience, Experience and Ebenezer. Desire and her second husband (Israel Holmes) only had two sons: Israel and John. Desire and her third husband (Alexander Standish) had three children Desire, Thomas and Ichabod.
Elizabeth Doty was born about 1646. She married twice, first Marshfield 13 Jan 1674/5 John Rouse and second (late in life), Marshfield 28 Jan 1718/9 William Carver. By her first husband, Elizabeth had three children: George (d. 1676), John (c1678-1704) and George (1679-1682). All three children died in infancy, so no surviving issue.
Mary Doty was born about 1653. She married sometime after 10 Jul 1677 to Samuel Hatch. She died 13 Jun 1728 Samuel Hatch and Mary Doty had nine children: Samuel (1678), Josiah (1680), Hannah (1682), Ebenezer (1684), Isaac (1687), Elizabeth (1690 m John Bonney, unknown if children), Elijah (1692), Ezekiel (1695) and Desire (1698 likely never married).
Hannah Sherman was born Marshfield 21 Feb 1668/9 and died Plymouth 7 Aug 1745. She married Plymouth 13 Jul 1693 William Ring and they had six children: Deborah (1695-1696), Hannah (1697-1715 unmarried), William (1699), Elizabeth (1701/2), Eleazer (1704/5) and Deborah (1708/9).
Patience Sherman was born Marshfield 3 Aug 1674 and died Duxbury before 30 Jul 1723. She married Duxbury 15 Jan 1695 Josiah Wormall and they had six children (Duxbury): Mehitable (1695), Mercy (c1697), Josiah (c1700), Desire (c1702), Samuel (c1703) and Ichabod (c1704)
Experience Sherman was born Marshfield 22 Sep 1678 and died Duxbury 31 Mar 1744. She married 5 Jul 1702 Myles Standish (son of Alexander Standish & Sarah Alden) and they had five children: Sarah (1704), Patience (1707), Priscilla (1710, unm. in 1740), Miles (1712) and Penelope (1717-1739 unmarried).
Desire Standish was born Marshfield 5 May 1689 and died Plympton 20 Jun 1766. She married Plympton 21 Feb 1715 Nathan Weston and they had four children: Nathan (1723), Isaac (1725), Jacob (1727) and Desire.
Hannah Hatch was born Scituate 15 Feb 1681/2 and died Middleborough 13 Apr 1771. She married three times, first probably Duxbury before 1702 Japhet Turner (II), second Scituate 9 Jul 1719, Ebenezer Tinkham (II) and third, Middleborough 23 Dec 1729 (Capt.) Ichabod Tupper. She only had children by her first husband (Duxbury, now Pembroke): Hannah (1702), Japhet (1704), Israel (son, 1706/7) and Elizabeth (1709).
Elizabeth Ring was born Plymouth 15 Feb 1702 and died there 17 Oct 1775. She married Plymouth 10 Nov 1719 Joseph Peirce and they had four children: Hannah (1723 Plymouth m. John King), Joseph (1725 Plymouth), Esther (1734 Rochester no further record) and Elizabeth (1737 Sandwich-p1739).
Mehitable Wormall was possibly born Duxbury in Dec 1695 and died there bef. 3 Jun 1754. She married Duxbury 19 Feb 1713/4 Christopher Wadsworth and they had four children (born Duxbury): Christiana (1714/5 m. Blaney Phillips), Abigail (1717/8 m. Joseph Russell), Christopher (1720/1) and Zenobe (1723 m. Nathaniel Bartlett).
Mercy Wormall was born Duxbury abt 1696. She married twice, first Duxbury 28 Oct 1720 William Merry and second, Norton 10 Nov 1729 John Woodberry. By her first husband she had at least one son: William (c1721).
Sarah Standish was born Duxbury 15 Apr 1704 and died there 20 Feb 1779. She married Duxbury 2 Mar 1730 Abner Weston and they had four children (born Duxbury): Seth (c1732), Micah (c1737), Hannah (c1739-1823 unmarried) and Deborah (d. 1805 m. Judah Hunt).
Patience Standish was born Duxbury 16 Aug 1707 and died bef 1746. She married Duxbury 6 Apr 1739 Caleb Jenney and they had two children (born Dartmouth): Ruben (1739) and Desire (1741-b1761 unmarried).
Desire Weston was born Plympton 14 Apr 1730 and died Newburyport 22 Jul 1796. She married Plympton 20 Oct 1750 Edmund Wright and they had five children: Lydia (1744-1848 unmarried), Elizabeth (1752 m Othnell Smith), Enoch, Edmund and Samuel.
- Pilgrim Edward Doty Society Genealogy
- called "ae15" (with father ae44) on passenger emigration list of the ship Francis dated "the last of" April 1634. (Roser, Mayflower Passenger References, p. 207 from Hotten: 278-79)
- Plymouth Colony Records I:32 and published Plymouth VRs:652
- Plymouth Colony Records 8:31 and published Plymouth VRs:665
- Marshfield VRs, p. 9
- The Doty Silver Book (vol. 11, part II) names only one female mtDNA descendant of the last generation.
- Marshfield VRs, p. 409
- Marshfield VRs, p. 10.
- Marshfield VRs p. 16
- Anderson, The Great Migration BeginsI:575
- Estimate based on estimated birth of sister Desire, and recorded birth of brother Isaac(8 Feb 1647/8)
- Marshfield VRs p. 8
- MD 8:43; Marshfield VRs 35, 40
- Likely the youngest child
- Anderson, The Great Migration Begins I:576
- Pilgrim Edward Doty Society Genealogy
- Some sources state she married first, before 1684 John Ford (d. c1693) and had five children: William (1684), Hannah (1685), Mercy (1687), Peleg (1690) and Sarah (1692). However, the record of her second marriage gave her surname as "Shirman".
- The Edward Doty Silver Book states Mehitable (and her brother Ebenezer) were likely too old to be the children of Josiah Wormall and Patience Sherman. This is likely based on their marriage dates (Feb 1713/4 for Mehitable and Apr 1717 for Ebenezer). The Silver book also stated neither were named in the will of Josiah Wormall. HOWEVER, Josiah died intestate, and his widow (second wife) Grace was appointed to be administratix of his estate on 3 Nov 1738 (Plym Co. Pbt. 7:449, 8:239). Mehitable's youngest child was born Apr 1723, so it is possible she died before her father. More research is needed, but for now the GSMD will not accept Mehitable as a daughter of Patience Sherman. mtDNA evidence may be able to help prove or disprove this relationship.
- Administration of (intestate) Estate granted to Blan(e)y Phillips, Plym. Pbt 13:258-59.
- See Edward Doty Genealogy for more information.
mtDNA Result T2b
According to the GSMD/FTDNA Mayflower DNA Project online presentation (passcode ajI2.8wq) two matrilineal descendants of Faith CLARKE Doty have ordered mtDNA tests. Exploring the mtDNA results of the project https://www.familytreedna.com/public/mayflowersociety?iframe=mtresults One individual claiming Faith CLARKE Doty was their Most Distant Known Matrilineal Ancestor (MDKMA) falls under Haplogroup T2b.
- The two descend from great-granddaughters of Faith CLARKE Doty through daughter Mary DOTY Hatch and her daughter Hannah HATCH Turner.
References and External Links
- Doty, Ethan Allen, The Doty-Doten Family in America Brooklyn, NY 1897 (contains some records from primary documents now lost)
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Increasings From the Files of George Ernest Bowman at the Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, Second edition 1995, 1996. pp. 43-53
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Passenger References (from contemporary records & scholarly journals), Second Edition, 2015, Canada [www.stewartbooks.com Stewart Publishing & Printing]
- Anderson, Robert Charles, The Mayflower Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth, 1620 New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA 2020, pp. 73-79
- Hill, Peter B., Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: vol. 11 Family of Edward Doty part I (descendants of Edward & John) 1996, rev. 2009; part II (Thomas, Samuel, Desire & Elizabeth), 1996; part III (Isaac, Joseph & Mary), 2000. Plymouth, General Society of Mayflower Descendants
© 2015-2022 mayflowerdna.org All Rights Reserved