Faith Clarke (mtDNA)
As of September 26, 2020
- Page created for Faith Clarke, second wife of Edward Doty
- recruitment of individuals who are mtDNA descendants of Faith (Clarke) Doty. Folks who are mtDNA descendants are encouraged to contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
Faith Clarke was born about 1619, the daughter of Thurston Clarke & Faith Loes. The family left the port of Ipswich, Suffolk, England at the end of April 1634 aboard the ship Francis and arrived in Plymouth sometime during the summer. Faith married Edward Doty at Plymouth on 6 Jan 1634/5. They continued to live in Plymouth until her husband's death on 23 Aug 1655. She married second, Plymouth, 14 Mar 1666/7 John Phillips. She was buried at Marshfield on 21 Dec 1675.
Edward and Faith had nine children: Edward, John, Thomas, Samuel, Desire, Elizabeth, Isaac, Joseph and Mary
Desire Doty was born about 1645 and died at Marshfield 22 Jan 1731, aged 86. She married three times, first to William Sherman 25 Dec 1667 Marshfield Her second marriage was Marshfield 24 Nov 1681 to Israel Holmes. Her final marriage by 1689 was to Alexander Standish, son of Mayflower passenger Myles Standish.
Desire and her first husband (William Sherman) had six children: Hannah, Elizabeth (1671-1695 never married), William, Patience, Experience and Ebenezer. Desire and her second husband (Israel Holmes) only had two sons: Israel and John. Desire and her third husband (Alexander Standish) had three children Desire, Thomas and Ichabod.
Elizabeth Doty was born about 1646. She married twice, first Marshfield 13 Jan 1674/5 John Rowse and second (late in life), Marshfield 28 Jan 1718/9 William Carver. John Rowse and Elizabeth Doty only had one son, who died in infancy.
Mary Doty was born about 1653. She married sometime after 10 Jul 1677 to Samuel Hatch. She died 13 Jun 1728 Samuel Hatch and Mary Doty only had one daughter, Hannah (1682-1771, m. Japhet Turner. It is believed they only had one son, Japhet).
Hannah Sherman was born Marshfield 21 Feb 1668/9 and died Plymouth 7 Aug 1745. She married Plymouth 13 Jul 1693 William Ring and they had six children: Deborah (1695-1696), Hannah (1697-1715 unmarried), William (1699), Elizabeth (1701/2), Eleazer (1704/5) and Deborah (1708/9).
Patience Sherman was born Marshfield 3 Aug 1674 and died Duxbury before 30 Jul 1723. She married Josiah Wormall and they had seven children (All born Duxbury): Mehitable (1695), Mercy (c1696), Ebenezer (c1697), Josiah (c1700), Desire (c1702), Samuel (c1703) and Ichabod (c1704)
Experience Sherman was born Marshfield 22 Sep 1678 and died Duxbury 31 Mar 1744. She married 5 Jul 1702 Myles Standish (son of Alexander Standish & Sarah Alden) and they had five children: Sarah (1704), Patience (1707), Priscilla (1710, unm. in 1740), Miles (1712) and Penelope (1717-1739 unmarried).
Desire Standish was born Marshfield 5 May 1689 and died Plympton 20 Jun 1766. She married Plympton 21 Feb 1715 Nathan Weston and they had four children: Nathan (1723), Isaac (1725), Jacob (1727) and Desire (1730 m. Edmund Wright).
Elizabeth Ring was born Plymouth 15 Feb 1702 and died there 17 Oct 1775. She married Plymouth 10 Nov 1719 Joseph Peirce and they had four children: Hannah (1723 Plymouth m. John King), Joseph (1725 Plymouth), Esther (1734 Rochester no further record) and Elizabeth (1737 Sandwich-p1739).
Mehitable Wormall was born Duxbury in Dec 1695. She likely married there 19 Dec 1714 Christopher Wadsworth and they had four children (born Duxbury): Christiana (1715 m. Blaney Phillips), Abigail (1718 unknown if married), Christopher (1721) and Zenobe (son) (1723).
Mercy Wormall was born Duxbury abt 1696. She married twice, first Duxbury 28 Oct 1720 William Merry and second, Norton 10 Nov 1729 John Woodberry. By her first husband she had at least one son: William (c1721).
Sarah Standish was born Duxbury 15 Apr 1704 and died there 20 Feb 1779. She married Duxbury 2 Mar 1730 Abner Weston and they had four children (born Duxbury): Micah (c1730), Seth (c1732), Hannah (c1739-1823 unmarried) and Deborah (d. 1805 m. Judah Hunt).
Patience Standish was born Duxbury 16 Aug 1707 and died bef 1746. She married Duxbury 6 Apr 1739 Caleb Jenney and they had two children (born Dartmouth): Ruben (1739) and Desire (1741-b1761 unmarried).
Desire Weston was born Plympton 14 Apr 1730 and died Newburyport 22 Jul 1796. She married Plympton 20 Oct 1750 Edmund Wright and they had five children: Lydia (1744-1848 unmarried), Elizabeth (1752 m Othnell Smith), Enoch, Edmund and Samuel
- Pilgrim Edward Doty Society Genealogy
- called "ae15" (with father ae44) on passenger emigration list of the ship Francis dated "the last of" April 1634. (Roser, Mayflower Passenger References, p. 207 from Hotten: 278-79)
- Plymouth Colony Records I:32 and published Plymouth VRs:652
- Plymouth Colony Records 8:31 and published Plymouth VRs:665
- Marshfield VRs, p. 9
- The Doty Silver Book (vol. 11, part II) names only one female mtDNA descendant of the last generation.
- Marshfield VRs, p. 409
- Marshfield VRs, p. 10.
- Marshfield VRs p. 16
- Anderson, The Great Migration BeginsI:575
- Estimate based on estimated birth of sister Desire, and recorded birth of brother Isaac(8 Feb 1647/8)
- Marshfield VRs p. 8
- MD 8:43; Marshfield VRs 35, 40
- Likely the youngest child
- Anderson, The Great Migration Begins I:576
- Pilgrim Edward Doty Society Genealogy
- Some sources state she married first, before 1684 John Ford (d. c1693) and had five children: William (1684), Hannah (1685), Mercy (1687), Peleg (1690) and Sarah (1692). However, the record of her second marriage gave her surname as "Shirman".
- See Edward Doty Genealogy for more information.
To date, no known mtDNA descendants of Faith (Clarke) Doty (Phillips) have publicly stated they have taken a mtDNA test. Individuals who believe they are mtDNA descendant of Faith (in other words, folks who believe their mother's mother's mother's etc. mother was Faith) are encouraged to contact Raymond Wing (email: wing DOT genealogist AT gmail DOT com) and take a full mtDNA test as well as allow their results to be analyzed.
References and External Links
- Doty, Ethan Allen, The Doty-Doten Family in America Brooklyn, NY 1897 (contains some records from primary documents now lost)
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Passenger References (from contemporary records & scholarly journals), Second Edition, 2015, Canada [www.stewartbooks.com Stewart Publishing & Printing]
- Anderson, Robert Charles, The Mayflower Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth, 1620 New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA 2020, pp. 73-79
- Hill, Peter B., Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: vol. 11 Family of Edward Doty part I (descendants of Edward & John) 1996, rev. 2009; part II (Thomas, Samuel, Desire & Elizabeth), 1996; part III (Isaac, Joseph & Mary), 2000. Plymouth, General Society of Mayflower Descendants