Completed as of October 1, 2020:
- Recruiting direct male-line Richard Wright descendants for further SNP testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact Raymond Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
Still to do as of October 1, 2020
- NGS/WGS test multiple descendants of Richard Wright to firmly place family clade as well as test descendants to discover any subclades unique to descendants lines
Richard Wright is said to have been born 9 Jun 1609 presumably in England and died at Plymouth 9 Jun 1681 "about two hours after being 83 years old." This statement of Richard's age at death has not been verified by this compiler.</ref> Richard married Plymouth in Nov 1644 Hester (Esther) Cooke. They had six children: Adam, John, Esther, Isaac, Samuel & Mary. John, Isaac & Samuel are all said to have died in King Philip's War, unmarried, so the Y-DNA is only carried via son Adam.
Adam Wright was born in Plymouth about 1645 and died in Plympton 20 Sep 1724. He married twice, first about 1678 to Sarah Soule, and after her death bef 1699 to Mehitable Barrow. By his first wife he had six children: Esther, John, Mary, Isaac, Rachel & Sarah. By his second wife he had four sons: Samuel, Moses, James & Nathan.
John Wright was born about 1680-81. He married Mary Lucas.
Isaac Wright was born in Plymouth 19 Jan 1685/6 and married Mary Cole.
Samuel Wright was born about 1699 and married Anna Tilson.
Moses Wright was born about 1703 and married Thankful Boles.
James Wright was born about 1707 and married Elizabeth Waterman.
Nathan Wright was born at Plympton 12 May 1711 and married Hannah Cooke.
DNA results R-CTS4188
Previous Y-DNA testing
As of 1 Oct 2020, the Wright Y-DNA Project lists four individuals who have STR tested under their "R - M269 - Family Group 17: R-P312>ZZ11>DF27>Z195>Z198>CTS4188>BY178203". One of the individuals has SNP tested R-P312>>DF27>Z195>Z198>CTS4188.
Further needed testing
More Y-DNA descendants of Richard Wright are needed to do Next Generation Sequence/Whole Genome Sequence (NGS/WGS) DNA testing to further refine the haplogroup for the family as well as try to further subdivide the descendants.
- While one individual does not have the Wright surname, he is a 66/67 match to the Wright family STR values, so it is virtually certain he also descends in a Y-DNA line from Richard Wright.
References & External Links
- Roser, Susan E. and Judith A. Swan, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations vol. 12 Cooke 2017 addendum of 1999 2nd Edition, General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA
- Soule, John E. and Milton Terry (3rd edition revised by Louise Walsh Throop), Mayflower Families in Progress: George Soule of the Mayflower General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA. 7th edition 2015.
- Mass and More Genealogy blog on Richard & Hester
- Mass and More Genealogy blog on Adam Wright