Abraham Sampson (Y-DNA)
Completed as of October 31, 2020:
- Recruiting additional direct male-line Abraham Sampson descendants for NGS/WGS SNP testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
Still to do as of October 31, 2020
- NGS/WGS test multiple Abraham Sampson descendants to firmly place family clade as well as discover any subclades unique to descendants lines
Abraham Sampson was baptized at Campton, Bedfordshire, England 14 Aug 1614, son of Laurence Sampson and Mary Shabery. He died shortly before 1701. Abraham is believed to have married twice, his first wife being an unidentified daughter of Lt. Samuel Nash and his second (unknown) wife. It is believed his first two children (Samuel & Elizabeth) were by his first wife and the other five children (Mary, George, Abraham, Isaac & Judith) by his second wife.
Samuel Sampson was born about 1646 in Duxbury and died in King Philip's War in 1675. He married Esther ____ about 1669. They had three children: Samuel, Mary & Ichabod.
George Sampson was born about 1655 and died at Plympton 26 Jul 1739, "in his 85th year (gravestone). He married abt 1678 Elizabeth Sprague. They had ten children: Joseph, Abigail, Judah/Judith, Ruth, Benjamin, Martha, George, Elizabeth, William & Seth.
Abraham Sampson was born about 1658 and died between 2 Aug 1725 - 4 Sep 1727. He married Lorah Standish about 1680. They had seven children: Nathaniel, Abraham, Miles, Rebecca, Ebenezer, Sarah & Grace
Isaac Sampson was born about 1661 and died between 3-26 Sep 1726 in Plympton. He married Lydia Standish (intentions 26 Oct 1686). They had nine children: (Unknown), Isaac, Jonathan, Josiah, Lydia, Ephraim, Peleg, Priscilla & Barnabas.
- Lawrence was said to be the son of John Sampson and therefor brother to James Sampson who was the father of Pilgrim Henry Samson.
- Some sources state her name was Esther, but it does not appear there is any contemporary evidence for this name, except for the fact the name is fairly common in descendants.
- She may have been Esther Delano
DNA results I2-BY526
Previous Y-DNA testing
Since Abraham Sampson shares a paternal grandfather with Pilgrim Henry Samson, his Y-DNA clade would be closely related to Henry's clade. Two Y-DNA descendants of Henry and two Y-DNA descendants of Abraham have taken Big Y tests and both of them fall under the following clade: I2a2a I-M223>P222>CTS616>CTS10057>Z161>FGC3575>S2452>L801>Z165>CTS1977>Y4946>BY526 (Y8935)>Y12052>FTB708. The descendants of Henry fall under the FTB4532 subclade of FTB708 while the descendants of Abraham fall under the FTB635 subclade of FTB708.
Further needed testing
We need direct male-line Abraham Sampson descendants to WGS/NGS test to to delineate descendant clades.
References & External Links
The American Genealogist vol. 56, pp. 141-45. "Henry Sampson's Paternal Grandfather" by Robert Leigh Ward.