Hannah, widow Wait (mtDNA)
Completed as of October 29, 2020:
- Recruiting direct female-line Robert Stetson descendants for full mtDNA testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact MayflowerDNA1620@gmail.com
Still to do as of October 29, 2020
- full mtDNA test multiple matrilineal (mtDNA) descendants of Hannah, wife of James Samson to firmly place family clade as well as discover any subclades unique to descendants lines
Hannah was born circa 1640 and died Dartmouth after 6 May 1716 Some sources claim her maiden name was Whitman, but this has not been confirmed. She was married twice, first, by 1660 Samuel Wait(e) (no Mayflower line) and second, before 21 May 1679 James Samson. By her second husband, she had at least seven children (order Unknown, likely born Dartmouth): James (c1680), Henry (unm.), Joseph, Anna, Penelope, Susanna and Priscilla
Second Generation (all likely born Dartmouth)
Anne Samson (estimated birth unknown) died Chilmark after 10 Feb 1734. She married (likely later in life, as his third wife) Dartmouth 12 Oct 1725 Shubal Smith (born 1653/4) but they had no children.
Penelope Samson (estimated birth about 1687) and died after 23 Nov 1727. She married (as his first wife) Dartmouth by 1713 Abraham Sampson (III) and they had eight children (Duxbury): Ruth (1713), Hannah (1715), Rebecca (1718), James (1719/20-1741), Abraham (1721), Stephen (1722), Henry (1724) and Penelope (1726-1819 unm.)
Susanna Samson died West Tisbury before 10 Mar 1761. She married Dartmouth 15 May 1722 Benjamin Hillman and they had at least six children: son (1723-1729), Seth (c1724), poss. Hannah (c1725), Benjamin (1727?), Henry (1729), Silas (1730/1) and James (1733).
Ruth Sampson was born Duxbury 2 Jul 1713 and was deceased in her father's will of 22 May 1744. She married Duxbury 8 Jan 1729/30 Amaziah Delano and they had ten children (Duxbury): Ezekiel (1731), Thomas (1734-1747), Hannah (1736/7), Zenas (1739-1760), Cornelius (1742), Jemima (1744/5), Thomas (1747), Sylvia (bp 1750), Ruth (bp 1752) and Barzilla (1755).
Hannah Sampson was born Duxbury 4 Nov 1715 and died Rochester 30/31 Dec 1797. She married Duxbury 13 Dec 1737 Experience Holmes and they had six children (Rochester): Susannah (1739), James (c1741-1754), Bathsheba (c1744), Elizabeth (1746), Experience (1749-1768) and Abraham (1754).
Rebecca Sampson was born Duxbury 26 Oct 1718 and was named in her father's will of 22 May 1744. She married Duxbury 22 May 1740 Nathaniel Blackmore and they had four children Dartmouth): Rhoda (1741), Ann (1744), Mary (1746) and John (1749).
Abigail Hammond was probably born about 1714 and was named in will of son Jonathan 22 Jul 1767. She married Dartmouth 14 Nov 1734 Jonathan Delano and they had seven children (Dartmouth): James (3), Jonathan (1736), Amasa (1737/8), Phillip (1739), Priscilla (1740), Mary (1744) and Stephen (1748).
- She released her dower rights to a deed.
- Unconfirmed sources state she died 8 Oct 1720.
- First child born Dec 1660.
- Husband's will.
- She signed a receipt.
- First child born Jul 1713.
- Inventory of her estate.
- Called daughter of Benjamin by a previous (Unknown) marriage in Samson Silver Book (20:I:26).
- Gave receipt.
- Her father deeded the couple land on 27 Dec 1712.
DNA Results TBD
To date, no known matrilineal (mtDNA) descendants of Hannah, wife of James Samson, has published their mtDNA results. Individuals who believe they are matrilineal descendants are encouraged to test and contact MayflowerDNA1620@gmail.com
External Links and References
- Sherman, Robert Moody and Ruth Wilder Sherman (edited by Robert S. Wakefield), Mayflower Families through Five Generations... vol. 20 (Samson) part 1 (First four generations) General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA 2000
- The Stetson Kindred of America