Mary Norris (mtDNA)
As of September 25, 2020
- Page created for Mary Norris, first wife of Isaac Allerton.
- Recruitment of individuals who are mtDNA descendants of Mary (Norris) Allerton. Folks who are mtDNA descendants are encouraged to contact MayflowerDNA1620@gmail.com
For more information see: Wakefield, Robert S. and Margaret S. Stover, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: vol. 17 Allerton
The first known record of Mary was her marriage to Isaac Allerton on 4 Nov 1611 at Leiden. (See Media:NL-LdnRAL_AR_1004_198_007.jpg.jpg for electronic scan of Leiden record. See also typed transcription of this record.) This record stated she was from "Nubere" (presumably Newbury, Berskhire, England). Some records state she was the daughter of Edward Norris, but this was an attempt to connect her to Sir Edward Norreys, MP from Rycote, who had no known children. The family lived in Leiden until they emigrated to the New World. She died at New Plimoth on 25 Feb 1620/1 during the first devastating winter when roughly half of the emigrants died.
Isaac and Mary had five children: Bartholomew, Remember, Mary, an infant who was buried at St. Peters, Leiden on 5 Feb 1620 and a stillborn son born at Plymouth Harbor on 22 Dec 1620.
Remember Allerton was born at Leiden about 1615. She came with her parents aboard the Mayflower. She married Moses Maverick before 6 May 1635 and she died (presumably at Salem, MA) between 1652-1656. Remember and Moses had seven children, all baptized at the First Church of Salem: Rebecca (1639-1659 m. John Hawkes, but only had one son [Moses]), Mary (1640-1655 unm.), Abigail (1644), Elizabeth (1646, d. young), Samuel (1647), Elizabeth (1649) and Remember (1652).
Mary Allerton was born at Leiden about 1616. She came with her parents aboard the Mayflower. She married (Elder) Thomas Cushman about 1636 at Plymouth and she died there 28 Nov 1699, being the last survivor of the Mayflower Passengers. Mary and Thomas had: Thomas, Sarah, Mary, Isaac, Elkanah, Fear (1653-1690, never married), Eleazar and Lydia.
Abigail Maverick was baptized at Salem 12 Jan 1644/5 and died there before Jan 1685/6. She married about 1662 (Maj.) Samuel Ward (II) and they had seven children: Abigail (bp. 1669), Mary (bp. 1669), Remember (bp. 1669), Elizabeth (bp 1670), Martha (bp 1672), Samuel (bp 1674) and Rebecca (bp 1678).
Elizabeth Maverick was baptized Salem 30 Sep 1649 and died before 29 Nov 1698. She married twice, first 6 Apr 1665 Nathaniel Grafton (d. 1670/1) then before Jan 1677 Thomas Skinner. Elizabeth had three children by her first husband: Elizabeth (b. 1667 m. William Hughes), Remember (b. 1669 m Richard Knight but no ch.), and Priscilla (b. 1671 m. Thomas Jackson). By her second husband, Elizabeth had: Rebecca (1677 no further record), John (1679), Agnes (1682), Abigail (1685 m. Ebenezer Ager & Nathaniel Coney) and Sarah (1687).
Remember Maverick was baptized Salem 12 Sep 1652 and died before 22 Apr 1691. She married Edward Woodman and they had six children (all bp. Salem 15 Jun 1684): Edward, Remember (b. ca 1673 m. Thomas Perkins), John, Maverick, Moses and Samuel.
Sarah Cushman was born at Plymouth about 1641 and died after Feb 1706/7. She married twice, first Lynn 11 Apr 1661 John Hawkes (d. 1694) then aft. 7 Nov 1695 Daniel Hutchings. Sarah had eight children by her first husband: Susannah (1662-1675), Adam (1664-1695), Anna (1666-1675), John (1668-1750), Rebecca (1670-1675), Thomas (1673-1722), Mercy (1675) and Ebenezer (1677-1766).
Mary Cushman was born at Plymouth about 1643 and died before 22 Oct 1690. She married about 1676 Francis Hutchinson and they had three children: Francis (b. 1678), Thomas (b. 1681) and John (b. 1683)
Lydia Cushman was born at Plymouth about 1659 and died 1719. She married William Harlow (II) and they had nine children: Elizabeth (b. 1683 m. Thomas Doty, no daughters), Thomas (1685/6), Lydia (1687 m. Barnabas Churchill, only daughter Lydia likely had no surviving children), William (1689), Robert (1691), Mary (1699-1720 never married) and Isaac (1700-1724 never married)
Abigail Ward was baptized (with sisters) Salem 6 Aug 1669 and died in Marblehead 23 Jul 1688. She married William Hinds and they had four children: John (1682), Abigail (1684/5 m. Joseph Homan), Rebecca (1686) and William (1688 d. young).
Mary Ward was baptized (with sisters) Salem 6 Aug 1669 and died aft 22 Nov 1726. She married twice, first 1681 Peter Dolliver/Dolliber then Marblehead 17 Jul 1699 William Waters. By her first husband Mary had at least four children: Margaret (c1682 m John Curtis), Joseph (bp 1684), Abigail (bp 1685, likely d.y.) and Peter (bp 1689). By her second husband she had one more child: Hannah (bp 1700 m Philip Tewksberry).
Remember Ward was baptized (with sisters) 6 Aug Salem 1669 and died Charlestown 6 Jan 1684. She married Charlestown 1 May 1679 William Wilson and they had John (1681) and Samuel (1683).
Elizabeth Ward baptized Salem 8 May 1670. married John Kittle.
Martha Ward baptized Salem 16 Sep 1672 and died Ipswich 17 Aug 1723. She married twice, first 3 Dec 1689 John Tuttle then Ipswich 10 Nov 1722 George Hart (no children). By her first husband Martha: Martha (1690 m. Mark Haskell), Samuel (1691/2), Mary (1696 m. Nathaniel Warner), Abigail (1701 m. William Haskell), Remember (c1703 m. Job Harris), William (bp 1705) and Susanna (c1709 m. Jonathan Hale).
Elizabeth Grafton was born Salem 18 Dec 1667 and died Boston 26 Mar 1734. She married Boston bef. 1685 William Hewes/Hughes and they had four children: Elizabeth (1685 m Henry Allen), Remember (1687 m John Perkins & William Hooper), William (1691) and Nathaniel (1699).
Priscilla Grafton was born Salem 12 Mar 1671 and died aft 30 Jun 1720. She married twice, first Boston 15 Oct 1690 Thomas Jackson then Boston 7 Aug 1712 James Pearson (no children). By her first husband she had six children: Thomas (1691-1691), Thomas (1692), Nathaniel (1693), Elizabeth (1695 m Thomas Goodman), Mary (1698 m John Potwine [II]) and Priscilla (1702 unk. if marr.).
Abigail Skinner was born Boston abt 1685 and died prob. Stoughton bef 27 Dec 1736. She married twice, first Boston 1 Mar 1703 Ebenezer Ager the Boston 6 Sep 1711 Nathaniel Coney. By her first husband she had: Ebenezer (1706). By her second husband she had Abigail (1712 m Michael Lowell), Thomas (1714), Elizabeth (1716 m Joseph Pettee), Samuel (1718), Mary (1720 m Samuel Pettey & John Stearns), Priscilla (1722 unm.), Joseph (1724), William (1726) and Anna (1728 m Aaron Guild).
Remember Woodman born Salem ca 1673 and died Boston bef. 24 Dec 1702. She married Boston 26 Jul 1694 Thomas Perkins and they had: Edward (1695-1695), Thomas (1696-1697), Thomas (1697), Mary (1698-1699), Mary (1700 m Joseph Gurney) and Elizabeth (1701 m James Lovell).
Mercy Hawkes was born Lynn 14 Nov 1675 and died Dec 1710. She married (int. Lynn 28 Nov 1696) (Capt.) Nathaniel Goodhue and they had seven children: William (1699), Sarah (1701 m Thomas Mansfield), Nathaniel (1702), John (1707), Mercy (1709-1721 unm.), Elizabeth (1710 m Robert Holmes [II]) and Ebenezer.
- Caleb Johnson's MayflowerHistory.com biography of Mary
- One maternal line of descendants for several generations can be found in the Pilgrim Isaac Allerton Society Newsletter
- After Remember's death, Moses married Eunice (Cole) Roberts and had four more children, but these children were not descendants of any Mayflower passengers.
- Salem VRs, I:67
- Date her father's will was written. She was called deceased.
- Salem VRs, I:67
- Mayflower Births & Deaths I:89, she was named (as living) in the will of her father, dated Jan 1685/6
- Named in father's 1698 Probate, but no further record.
- wikitree states she probably died young.
- Salem VRs, I:67
- She signed off her dower rights to a deed of her husband's.
- Deceased in her father's will.
- Some sources also give them sons Samuel (1691), John (1695) and Thomas (1696).
mtDNA Results W5a2a +G10373A +A15942G
The Mayflower DNA Project lists one matrilineal (all female line) descendant of Mary. It is presumed this individual has taken the full mtDNA test, which tests every single base pair of the mitochondrial DNA. FTDNA has assigned this individual to the W5a2 mtDNA haplogroup. Today this rare lineage is present at trace frequencies in the populations of Norway, Scotland, Ireland, and Germany.
According to the W-mtDNA Haplogroup Project This individual falls under the following: W5a2a +G10373A [and] A15924G suggested subclade This subgrouping is comprised of five individuals (including the individual in the Mayflower DNA Project). At least one of these individuals is not a mtDNA descendant of Mary, thus this mtDNA haplogroup assignment by itself cannot be used to identify matrilineal descendants of Mary.
- Due to the fact some mtDNA mutations are directly linked to health issues, Full mtDNA results are not revealed on any FTDNA website. Instead, FTDNA only reveals the HVR (Hyper Variable Region) I & HVR II mtDNA results.
- One individual lists their Most Distant Known Matrilineal Ancestor (MDKMA) as Freedom KINGSLEY French. Freedom was born about 1630 in England, daughter of John Kingsley and his first wife, Elizabeth _____. While she is not descended from Mary Norris, it appears Freedom's mtDNA ancestry links up with Mary's mtDNA ancestry at some point in time in England.
References and External Links
- Wakefield, Robert S. and Margaret S. Stover, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: vol. 17 Allerton General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA. 1998, reprinted 2015
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Increasings From the Files of George Ernest Bowman at the Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, Second edition 1995, 1996. pp. 11-15
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Passenger References (from contemporary records & scholarly journals), [www.stewartbooks.com Stewart Publishing & Printing] Canada. Second edition, 2015
- wikipedia entry for Isaac Allerton, which briefly mentions Mary and their children
- Caleb Johnson's Mayflower History entry for Mary (Norris) Allerton
- Find-a-grave entry for Mary (Norris) Allerton
- New England Historical and Genealogical Society "Mayflower 2020" entry for Mary (Norris) Allerton
- Geni.com profile for Mary (Norris) Allerton with a good list of sources
- Haplogroup.org for W5a2 haplogroup
- wikitree profile for Mary NORRIS Allerton
- The Allerton Family - The Mayflower Society
© 2015-2022 mayflowerdna.org All Rights Reserved