As of November 21, 2020:
- Low Priority as no known Y-DNA descendants of Isaac Allerton. See Possible Y-DNA Descendants below. In addition, research on the family of Bartholomew Allerton (who moved to England) is needed.
For more information see: Wakefield, Robert S. and Margaret Harris Stover, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations, vol. 17 Allerton
Isaac Allerton was born about 1586, son of Bartolomew and Mary (_____) Allerton of East Bergholt, Suffolk, England. He died at New Haven (now part of Connecticut) between 1 Feb 1658/9 - 12 Feb 1658/9. He was married three times: First at Leiden 4 Nov 1611 [NS] (see Media:NL-LdnRAL_AR_1004_198_007.jpg.jpg for electronic scan of Leiden record. See also typed transcript of record.) to Mary Norris who died at Plymouth on 25 Feb 1620/1. Isaac married second, New Plimouth between 1623 - 1626 Fear Brewster. Isaac married third bet. 1635-1644 Joanna Swinnerton (no children).
By his first wife, Isaac had: Bartholomew (c1612), Remember (c1615), Mary (c1617), infant child (bur. 5 Feb 1620), and stillborn son (Dec 1620). By his second wife, Isaac had Sarah (c1626, apparently d.y.) and Isaac (c1628).
Bartholomew "Bartle" Allerton was born in Leiden about 1612. and died in Barnfield, Suffolk, England between 15 Oct 1658 - 19 Feb 1658/9. He is believed to have married twice: fist by 1640 to Margaret (____) who pre-deceased him, and second Sarah Fairfax. Bartholomew had four children (order uncertain, all born after 1640): Isaac), Mary, Dorothy and John.
(Col.) Isaac Allerton (II) was born in New Plimouth about 1628 and died sometime between writing his will (Westmoreland Co., VA 25 Oct 1702) and the will being proved (30 Dec 1702). Isaac was married twice: First prob. in New Haven, CT about 1652 to Elizabeth (_____) and second, in Virginia between 8 Sep 1662 - 30 Jan 1663/4 to Elizabeth Willoughby, widow of both Simon Overzee and George Colclough. By his first wife he had Elizabeth and Isaac. By his second wife he had Willoughby, Frances and Sarah.
- NEHGReg 173:197-205. Deposed abt 53 in 1639 (MD 4:109-10).
- Court appearance - date of inventory from Anderson, Mayflower Migration p. 26. See also Pilgrim Hall Museum probate of Isaac Allerton.
- MD 7:129-30
- Anderson, Mayflower Migration, p. 26.
- One child in the May 1627 Cattle Division.
- not remarried in 1623 land division, but remarried in 1627 Cattle Division.
- MQ 47:15-16; MD 2:114; NEHGR 124:133.
- Anderson, Mayflower Migration, p. 27.
- MD 40:7-10
- Based on the assumption he was their first child.
- MD 40:7-10
- Still need to discover by which wife
- MD 40:8-9 from Probate records of the Archdeaconry of Suffolk, 1644-1700, W109/92, R73/208
- Not named in the 1627 Cattle Division. His father was in England until late Spring 1627. As such, the son could not have been born until ca Mar 1628 at the very earliest
- Some claim Col. Isaac and Elizabeth had another daughter, Mary, who married about 1685 John Newton and had at least three children. However, Mary was not named in her father's will and the GSMD currently does not accept lines of descent from her. See wikitree for more information.
Possible Y-DNA descendants
An Isaac Allerton with wife Elizabeth was living in the New Haven, Connecticut area in the latter part of the Seventeenth Century. They had sons John and Jesse. The identity of this Isaac is still unknown, but is likely either Isaac3 son of Isaac2 or Isaac3 son of Bartholomew2.
DNA Results TBD
Currently, Family Tree DNA does not have an Allerton surname DNA Project, but has eight kits associated with the Allerton surname.
Next Generation Sequence/Whole Genome Sequence testing
NGS/WGS testing of Allerton descendants would further refine the haplogroup assignment for this family.
References and External Resources
- Wakefield, Robert S. and Margaret Harris Stover, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations, vol. 17:Allerton General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA 1998, reprinted 2018.
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Increasings From the Files of George Ernest Bowman at the Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, Second edition 1995, 1996. pp. 11-15.
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Passenger References: from contemporary records & scholarly journals, Stewrt Publishing & Printing, Canada, 2011. Second Edition 2015, pp. 30-74
- Anderson, Robert Charles, The Mayflower Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth, 1620 New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA 2020 pp. 24-29
- The Mayflower Quarterly vol. 47 (1981):14-18 "The Children of Isaac Allerton"
- Johnson, Caleb, Sue Allan and Simon Neal, New England Historical and Genealogical Registervol. 173 (2019):197-205 "The Origin and Parentage of Mayflower Passenger Isaac Allerton in East Bergholt, Suffolk"
- Hall, Newman A., The Mayflower Descendant vol. 40 pp. 7-10 "Bartholomew Allerton and the Fairfax family of Bramfield, Suffolk"
- Pilgrim Isaac Allerton Society
- wikipedia article on Isaac Allerton
- joint NEHG Society & GSMD Isaac Allerton Profile
- Caleb Johnson's MayflowerHistory.com profile of Isaac Allerton
- wikitree profile for Isaac Allerson
- The Allerton Family - The Mayflower Society
© 2015-2022 mayflowerdna.org All Rights Reserved