Mary Norris (mtDNA)
As of September 25, 2020
- Page created for Mary Norris, first wife of Isaac Allerton.
- Recruitment of individuals who are mtDNA descendants of Mary (Norris) Allerton. Folks who are mtDNA descendants are encouraged to contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
The first known record of Mary was her marriage to Isaac Allerton on 4 Nov 1611 at Leiden. This record stated she was from Newbury (presumably Newbury, Berskhire, England). Some records state she was the daughter of Edward Norris, but this was likely an attempt to connect her to Sir Edward Norreys, MP from Rycote, who had no known children. The family lived in Leiden until they emigrated to the New World. She died at New Plimouth on 25 Feb 1620/1 during the first devastating winter when roughly half of the emigrants died.
Isaac and Mary had five children: Bartholomew, Remember, Mary, an infant who was buried at St. Peters, Leiden on 5 Feb 1620 and a stillborn son born at Plymouth Harbor on 22 Dec 1620.
Remember Allerton was born at Leiden about 1615. She came with her parents aboard the Mayflower. She married Moses Maverick before 6 May 1635 and she died (presumably at Salem, MA) between 1652-1656. Remember and Moses had seven children, all baptized at the First Church of Salem: Rebecca (1639-1659 m. John Hawkes, but only had one son [Moses]), Mary (1640-1655 unm.), Abigail (1644), Elizabeth (1646, d. young), Samuel (1647), Elizabeth (1649) and Remember (1652).
Mary Allerton was born at Leiden about 1616. She came with her parents aboard the Mayflower. She married (Elder) Thomas Cushman about 1636 at Plymouth and she died there 28 Nov 1699. Mary and Thomas had: Thomas, Sarah, Mary, Isaac, Elkanah, Fear (1653-1690, never married), Eleazar and Lydia.
Abigail Maverick was baptized at Salem 12 Jan 1644/5 and died there before Jan 1685/6. She married about 1662 (Maj.) Samuel Ward (II) and they had seven children: Samuel, Abigail (bp. 1669), Remember (bp. 1669), Mercy (m. ___ Cane), Mary (bp. 1669), Elizabeth and Martha.
Elizabeth Maverick was baptized Salem 30 Sep 1649 and died before 29 Nov 1698. She married twice, first 6 Apr 1665 Nathaniel Grafton then bef Jan 1685/6 Thomas Skinner. Elizabeth had three children by her first husband: Elizabeth (b. 1667 m. William Hughes), Remember (b. 1669 died bef. 1698, likely never married), and Priscilla (b. 1671 m. Thomas Jackson)
Remember Maverick was baptized 12 Sep 1652 and died before 22 Apr 1691. She married Edward Woodman and they had six children (all bp. Salem 15 Jun 1684): Edward, Remember (b. ca 1673 m. Thomas Perkins), John, Maverick, Moses and Samuel.
Sarah Cushman was born at Plymouth about 1641 and died after Feb 1706/7. She married twice, first Lynn 11 Apr 1661 John Hawkes (d. 1694) then aft. 7 Nov 1695 Daniel Hutchings. Sarah had eight children by her first husband: Susannah (1662-1675), Adam (1664-1695), Anna (1666-1675), John (1668-1750), Rebecca (1670-1675), Thomas (1673-1722), Mercy (1675-1743 m. (Capt.) Nathaniel Goodhue) and Ebenezer (1677-1766).
Mary Cushman was born at Plymouth about 1643 and died before 22 Oct 1690. She married about 1676 Francis Hutchinson and they had three children: Francis (b. 1678), Thomas (b. 1681) and John (b. 1683)
Lydia Cushman was born at Plymouth about 1659 and died 1719. She married William Harlow and they had nine children: Elizabeth (b. 1683 m. Thomas Doty), Thomas (1685/6), Lydia (1687 m. Barnabus Churchill), William (1689), Robert (1691), Mary (1699-1720 never married) and Isaac (1700-1724 never married)
Abigail Ward was baptized in Salem 1669 and died in Marblehead 23 Jul 1688. She married William Hinds and they had four children: John (1682), Abigail (1684/5 m. Joseph Hooman), Rebecca (1686) and William (1688 d. young)
Remember Ward was baptized in Salem 1669 and died Charlestown 6 Jan 1684. She married Charlestown 1 May 1679 William Wilson and they had John (1681) and Samuel (1683).
Mercy Ward married ___ Cane
Mary Ward was baptized in Salem 6 Aug 1669 married 1681 Peter Dolliver (Doliber) and they had nine children: Margaret (1682 m. John Curtis), Joseph (1684), Susanna (1685 m. Thomas Varrell), Abigail (1685), Peter (1689), Samuel (1691), John (1695), Thomas (1696) and Hannah (1700)
Elizabeth Ward baptized Salem 8 May 1670. married John Kittle.
Martha Ward baptized Salem 16 Sep 1672 and married John Tuttle and they had: Martha (1690 m. Mark Haskell), Mary (1696 m. Nathaniel Warner), Remember (m. Job Harris), Abigail (m. William Haskell), William and Susanna (m. Jonathan Hale).
- Caleb Johnson's MayflowerHistory.com biography of Mary
- Caleb Johnson's MayflowerHistory.com biography of Mary
- One maternal line of descendants for several generations can be found in the Pilgrim Isaac Allerton Society Newsletter
- Caleb Johnson's MayflowerHistory.com biography for Remember
- After Remember's death, Moses married Eunice (Cole) Roberts and had four more children, but these children were not descendants of any Mayflower passengers.
- Caleb Johnson's MayflowerHistory.com biography for Mary
- She was the last survivor of the Mayflower Passengers
- Date her father's will was written. She was called deceased.
- She signed off her dower rights to a deed of her husband's.
- Deceased in her father's will.
mtDNA Results W5a2
The Mayflower DNA Project lists one all female line descendant of Mary. It is presumed this individual has taken the full mtDNA test, which tests every single base pair of the mitochondrial DNA. FTDNA has assigned this individual to the W5a2 mtDNA haplogroup. Today this rare lineage is present at trace frequencies in the populations of Norway, Scotland, Ireland, and Germany.
- Due to the fact some mtDNA mutations are directly linked to health issues, Full mtDNA results are not revealed on any FTDNA website. Instead, FTDNA only reveals the HVR (Hyper Variable Region) I & HVR II mtDNA results.
References and External Links
- Wakefield, Robert S. and Margaret S. Stover, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: vol. 17 Allerton General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA. 1998, reprinted 2015
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Passenger References (from contemporary records & scholarly journals), [www.stewartbooks.com Stewart Publishing & Printing] Canada. Second edition, 2015
- wikipedia entry for Isaac Allerton, which briefly mentions Mary and their children
- Caleb Johnson's Mayflower History entry for Mary (Norris) Allerton
- Find-a-grave entry for Mary (Norris) Allerton
- New England Historical and Genealogical Society "Mayflower 2020" entry for Mary (Norris) Allerton
- Geni.com profile for Mary (Norris) Allerton with a good list of sources
- Haplogroup.org for W5a2 haplogroup