Completed as of October 1, 2020:
- Recruiting additional direct male-line Francis West descendants for further SNP testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
- Y-SNP predicted to fall under R1b-U106
Still to do as of October 1, 2020
- NGS/WGS test multiple descendants of Francis West to firmly place family clade as well as test descendants to discover any subclades unique to descendants lines
Francis West was born about 1632, presumably in England.
They had children;
- DNA testing West Surname DNA Project has conclusively proven where Francis West (FG 20 husband of Susanna Soule) could not have been son of Francis West and Margery Reeves (FG20). In addition, one descendant of Matthew West b. 1598 has done Y-DNA testing and falls under a completely different haplogroup. Thus it is highly unlikely Francis was a son of Matthew.
DNA results R1b-U106
Previous Y-DNA testing
The West Surname DNA Project Subgroup: "FG20" lists nine individuals (all STR matching each other), with three stating their Most Distant Known Paternal Ancestor (MDKPA) was Francis West (married Susanna Soule). None of these individuals have done any Y-DNA SNP testing, but two individuals have done 67 Y-STR testing. Plugging in their Y 67 STR values into the Nevgen.org Haplogroup Predictor gives a variety of haplogroups under U106 & P312, but it also states a 97.6% chance of the haplogroup falling outside of what the predictor can test.
- Another Subgroup (FG19) descends from a Francis West, born ca 1606. STR results indicate they are NOT closely related to FG20.
- set for R1b haplogroup
Further needed testing
We need additional direct male-line descendants of Francis West to WGS/NGS test to both confirm this prediction as well as to refine the haplogroup further and delineate descendant clades.