Hester/Esther Dewsbury (mtDNA)
Completed as of May 6, 2021:
- Recruiting additional matrilineal (direct female-line) Hester Dewsbury descendants for mtDNA testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
Still to do as of February 28, 2021
- Full mtDNA testing multiple matrilineal Hester Dewsbury descendants to firmly place family clade as well as discover any subclades unique to descendants lines
Hester/Esther Dewsbury's origins are unknown. She was married Plymouth 19 Dec 1634 to Phillip Delano and they had six children: Mary (c1635), Phillip (c1637), Thomas (c1639), Esther (c1641), John (c1644) and Jonathan (c1648)
Esther Delano was born Duxbury abt 1641 and died there 12 Sep 1735. Abraham Peirce "Junr" testified in Plymouth Court on 1 Oct 1661 where he was guilty of spreading a malicious false rumor that Rebecca Alden and Hester Delano were both with child. This provides a contemporary record for the existance of a daughter Hester/Esther. No other Hester/Esther has been found in any colony records, so it is assumed she identical to the following: Hester/Esther married twice, first about 1662 to Samuel Sampson and second after 3 Jul 1678 John Soule. By her first husband, Esther had three children: Samuel (c1670), Mary (c1673) and Ichabod (c1675). By her second husband she had three more children: Joseph (1679), Josiah and Joshua (1681).
Mary Sampson was born Duxbury abt 1673 and died prob. Duxbury bef 21 Oct 1706. She married Duxbury 26 Oct 1696 Richard West and they had four children (Middleborough): Richard (c1694), Susannah (c1700), Thomas (1702) and Mary (c1704)
- Some sources state she had a son, Daniel, born about 1656. Even if he existed, he would have died young as Jonathan Dunham had a son Daniel by his second wife.
- A report by the Henry Samson Kindred organization gave a birth Duxbury 6 Mar 1640, from her age (95 years 6 mos., 6 days) on her gravestone. Anderson's Great Migration Begins (Addendum III:2090) gives a birth date of about 1641.
- Plymouth Colony Records, vol. III (Court Orders):7.
DNA results TBD
Previous mtDNA testing
We currently do not know of any mtDNA descendants of Hester/Esther Dewsbury who have taken a full mtDNA test.
Further needed testing
We need matrilineal (direct female-line) Hester Dewsbury descendants to mtDNA test and publish their results.
References & External Links
- Curtis Cushing, Muriel, Philip Delano of the "Fortune" 1621 and His Descendants for Four Generations, General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 2002.