Sarah Bassett (mtDNA)
As of November 25, 2020:
- Page created for mtDNA of Sarah Bassett
- Anyone who believes they may be a mtDNA descendant of Sarah is encouraged to contact MayflowerDNA1620@gmail.com
For more information see: Sherman, Ruth W. and Robert M. Sherman, comp. Robert S. Wakefield, ed., Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: vol. 13 White
Sarah Bassett was born in New Plimouth about 1628 the daughter of William Bassett and Elizabeth ____. She died in Marshfield 22 Jan 1711/2. "On 6 Mar 1648/9, Peregrin White, and Sara, his wife, both of Marshfield" were presented to the court for fornication before marriage or contract. They were cleared by paying a fine".  They had seven children: Daniel (c1648), child (Joseph?) (b1652), Jonathan (1658), Peregrine (c1661), Sarah (1663), Sylvanus (b 1667) and Mercy (c1670).
Sarah White was born in Oct 1663 in Marshfield, and died 9 Aug 1755 in Scituate. She married Scituate in Jan 1689 to Thomas Young. They had nine children: George, John, Sarah (1695-1699), Thomas (d. young), Thomas, Joseph, Ebenezer, Joshua and Isaac
Mercy White was born Marshfield about 1670 and died Marshfield 12 Jun 1739. She married 3 Feb 1697 William Sherman (IV)  and they are said to have had six children including Thankful, Sarah, Mary (twin, never married), Abigail (twin, never married)
Thankful Sherman was born Marshfield 10 Apr 1699 and died there 28 Sep 1739. She married twice: first Marshfield 3 Jan 1722/3 Robert Atkins and second Marshfield 26 May 1726 John Polden. There are no known children by Thankful's first marriage. By second husband (Robert Atkins), Thankful had: Mary (1731) and John (1736/7)
Sarah Sherman was born Marshfield 8 May 1701 and died there 7 Aug 1768. She married Marshfield 6 Jan 1725 to (Lieut.) Adam Hall. They had nine children: William (1726), Thomas (1728), Adam (1729), Sarah (1731-1735), Joseph (1733), Sarah (1735 m. David Freeman), Jesse (1737), Mercy (1739 unk. if marr.) and Levi (1744).
Mary Polden was born Marshfield 2 Jun 1731. She is believed to have married Plymouth 10 Oct 1757 John Goddard and died there 12 Dec 1800. Sarah and John had seven (but only one surviving) children: Mercy (died aged 6 years), two infants, Lydia (died aged 2 yrs, 3 mos.), Mary (died aged 2 yrs, 6 mos.), another infant, and John (only surviving child).
- Not named in the May 1627 Cattle Division. Her parents were enumerated, but not Sarah.
- Shurtleff, Nathaniel Bradstreet. Records of the colony of New Plymouth, in New England; printed by order of the legislature of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts by New Plymouth Colony, Vol. 2 Court Orders 1641-1651 p. 138 Boston: Press of William White, 1968
- The will of William Sherman only included twins Mary and Abigail (neither married), Sarah, and heirs of daughter Thankful (deceased). Any other children must have died young.
- Not found in the fifth generation of the William White Silver Book.
- Further research is needed to discover if there are still any direct matrilineal descendants of Sarah Bassett, wife of Peregrine White.
- Wakefield, Robert S., Mayflower Families through Five Generations vol. 13: White General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA 1997
- Anderson, Robert Charles, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1634 vol. 1 1995, New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Increasings From the Files of George Ernest Bowman at the Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, Second edition 1995, 1996. pp. 121-123
- The White Family - The Mayflower Society
© 2015-2022 mayflowerdna.org All Rights Reserved