Completed as of October 1, 2020:
- Recruiting additional direct male-line Thomas Little descendants for further SNP testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
- Y-SNP predicted to fall under R1b L21>>L513>S5668>A7
Still to do as of October 1, 2020
- NGS/WGS test multiple descendants of Thomas Little to firmly place family clade as well as test descendants to discover any subclades unique to descendants lines
Thomas Little was born likely in England about 1607. The first known record for him was a tax list of Plymouth Colony for 25 Mar 1633. He married in Plymouth 19 Apr 1633 to Ann Warren. Thomas was buried at Marshfield on 12 Mar 1671/2.
They had nine children; five daughters and four sons (Isaac, Ephraim, Thomas and Samuel)
- Plimouth.org biography of Thomas Little
- Date estimated based on date married
DNA results R1b L21>>L513>S5668>A7
Previous Y-DNA testing
The Little DNA Project Subgroup: "i. MRCA unknown; Ireland; early Marshfield Massachusetts; Haplogroup R1b-L193; further testing necessary to establish lineage" lists five individuals, one whom states his Most Distant Known Paternal Ancestor (MDKPA) was Thomas Little. None of these individuals have done any Y-DNA SNP testing, but the Thomas Little descendant has done 111 Y-STR testing. Plugging in his Y-STR values into the Nevgen.org Haplogroup Predictor predicts a variety of haplogroups under R1b-P312>>L21 with the top four entries (combined probability score of 95%) all falling under L21>>L513>S5668.
- set for I haplogroup
Further needed testing
We need additional direct male-line descendants of Thomas Little to WGS/NGS test to both confirm this prediction as well as to refine the haplogroup further and delineate descendant clades.
Summary of findings
References & External Links
Wakefield, Robert S., Mayflower Families through Five Generations, Vol. 18 part II (daughters Mary, Anna & Elizabeth), General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA, 2011