Completed as of February 26, 2021
- Recruiting direct male-line descendants of Charles Hill for further SNP testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
- The Hill surname DNA Project Group 35 - Joseph Hills investigated.
Still to do as of February 26, 2021
- Determine whether there are any living Y-DNA descendants of Charles Hill.
It is currently unknown whether there are any living Y-DNA descendants of Charles Hill.
Charles Hill was the son of George Hill of Barley, Derbyshire, England. His birth date and place is unknown, but it is said he died New London, CT in Oct 1684. Charles married twice, first New London 16 Jul 1668 Ruth BREWSTER Pickett.. Charles married second, New London 12 Jun 1678 Rachel Mason (who only had one stillborn child). By his first wife, Charles had five children (born New London): Jane (1669), Charles (1671), Ruth (1673), Jonathan (1674) and an infant son (1677-1677).
Charles Hill (II) was born in New London 16 Oct 1671 and prob. died there bet. 26 Nov 1710 - 12 Dec 1710. He married New London 28 Aug 1701 Abigail Fox and they had five children (born New London): Mary (1703/4 d.y.), Hannah (1704/5), Charles (1706-bef 1710), Abigail (1708/9) and Charles (1710).
Jonathan Hill was born New London in Nov 1674 and died in New London (now Montville) 26 Feb 1724/5. He married bef 8 Mar 1701/2 Mary Sherwood and they had nine children (born New London): Jane (bp 1701/2), Jonathan (1703-1714/5), William (1705-1714/5), Ruth (1707/8-1714/5), Mary (1710), Charlot (son 1711-p1734), George (1713), John (1715) and Ruth (1716/7).
Charles Hill (III) was born New London 23 Nov 1710. He married Jane Chapman.
George Hill was baptized at New London 5 Apr 1713. He married Joanna Viber.
- Ruth was the widow of John Pickett
- last child baptized (father not listed as deceased) - called deceased in father's probate record.
- Abigail married second, New London 9 Jun 1720 William Davis.
Previous Y-DNA testing
The Hill surname DNA Project Group 35 - Joseph Hills (brother of Charles Hill) currently lists five individuals. None have done Y-SNP testing, and FTDNA has predicted they fall under R1b-M269. NGS/WGS testing of the family would be able to further refine their haplogroup.
References & External Links
- Merrick, Barbara Lambert, ed. Scott Andrew Bartley, Mayflower Families through Five Generations, vol. 24 (Brewster) Part I General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA 2014