Completed as of February 25, 2021
- Recruiting direct male-line descendants of John Pickett for further SNP testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
- Pickett DNA Project Administrator of this project has been contacted for information on Y-DNA Haplogroup of this family.
Still to do as of February 25, 2021
- Determine whether there are any living Y-DNA descendants of John Pickett.
It is currently unknown whether there are any living Y-DNA descendants of John Pickett. All too often the male Pickett's of this line died comparatively young, and only having one or two sons of their own. Attempts to trace the family beyond the third generation have not (to date) yielded any concrete results.
John Pickett whose birth and parentage is currently unknown died at sea (returning from Barbadoes) 16 Aug 1667. He married New London 14 Mar 1651 Ruth Brewster (daughter of Johnnathan and granddaughter of Elder William Brewster). They had six children before his untimely death (prob. born New London): Mary (c1652), Ruth (c1654), John (1656-1690/1, never married), Adam (1658), Mercy (1660/1) and William (bp 1670 d. unm 1690).
Adam Pickett was born in New London 15 Nov 1658 and died likely at sea before 4 Jan 1690/1. He married New London 26 May 1680 Hannah Wetherell and they had three children (born New London): Adam (1681), John (1685) and Hannah (1689)
John Pickett was born New London 28 Jul 1685 and died there 9 Dec 1738. He married 1706 Elizabeth Mulford and they had: Adam (1708), John (1710 m. Mary Cogswell), Hannah and Mary.
- Will of his brother, John, dated 4 Jan 1690/1 had "...in case Adam Pickett return from sea..."
- Hannah and Adam were first cousin's as Hannah's mother, was Grace Brewster, sister to Adam's mother, Ruth.
- Adam's widow, Susanna, married New London 18 Jul 1706 Samuel Fosdick.
- Adam and Susanna were second cousins as Susanna's paternal grandmother was Mary Brewster, sister to Hannah and Grace.
- poss. married 1730 Newbury, MA to Elizabeth Jackson.
Previous Y-DNA testing
The Pickett family DNA project currently (as of February 25, 2021) does not publicly display their Y-DNA results.
References & External Links
- Merrick, Barbara Lambert, ed. Scott Andrew Bartley, Mayflower Families through Five Generations, vol. 24 (Brewster) Part I General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA 2014
- Geni.com profile for John Pickett