Completed as of January 10, 2020:
- Recruiting additional Gorhams for further SNP testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
- Predicted to fall under I-M253 based on STR testing of two descendants.
Still to do as of January 10, 2020
- NGS/WGS test for subclade under I-M253.
John Gorum (as he consistently spelled his name) was likely the "John Gorram Sonne of Ralph Gorram" baptized at Benefield, Northamptonshire, England 28 Jan 1620/1. The family was found in Duxbury, Plymouth Colony in 1637, and likely were then fairly recent immigrants. John married Desire Howland (eldest daughter of Mayflower Passengers John Howland & Elizabeth Tilley) about 1643. The family moved to Marshfield shortly after the first child was born, but was in Yarmouth (on Cape Cod) by 1652. They were found in Barnstable in 1658 They were still living in Barnstable as late as Jun 1674. John was a Captain in King Phillip's War and almost certainly his death (possibly due to disease) was due to his service. He was buried at Swansey (now Swansea) in Bristol County on 5 Feb 1675/6.
John & Desire had six daughters and five sons: James, John, Joseph, Jabez & Shubael.
- The "Wast Book" of Col. John Gorham (a great-grandson of Capt. John) stated his great-grandfather's father was also named John. In addition, Col. Gorham stated he found the arms of his Gorham family "from Huntingtunshear". See Mayflower Descendant 5:173-175
- Image of baptismal record found at Ancestry.com  Unfortunately the right hand side of the page (which includes the date) does not show up on this record.
- Based on the fact their first child was born 2 Apr 1644
- This may be due to a change in the town lines, or a recognition of an error in calling the property in Yarmouth
James Gorham (1650-1707) married Hannah Huckins Feb 1673/4 in Barnstable, where they lived out their lives. They had four daughters and seven sons: James, John, Thomas, Joseph, Jabez, Sylvanus & Ebenezer
(Lieut. Col.) John Gorham (1651/2-1716) married Mary Otis Feb 1674/5 in Barnstable, where they lived out their lives. They had four daughters and five sons: John (died young), Stephen, Shubael, John & Job
(Ens.) Joseph Gorham (1653/4-1726) married Sarah Sturgis about 1678. They lived in Yarmouth, MA. They had two daughters and six sons: Joseph, Samuel, John, Isaac, Hezekiah & Josiah
Jabez Gorham (1656-1725) married Hannah STURGIS Gray before 1677. They moved to Bristol, MA (now in Rhode Island) about 1682. They had three daughters and eight sons: Samuel, Jabez, Shubael, Isaac, John, Joseph, Benjamin & Thomas
Shubael Gorham (1667-1750) married Puella (Priscilla?) Hussey in May 1695. They lived on Nantucket Island and Barnstable. They had eight daughters and three sons: George, Daniel & Jonathan.
- After the birth of their third child, Samuel.
Previous Y-DNA testing
Y-STR testing of two Gorham descendants give a predicted haplogroup of I-M253. NGS/WGS testing still needs to be done to determine where the family falls under I-M253.
Summary of findings
References & External Links
White, Elizabeth Pearson, John Howland of the Mayflower, Vol. I (daughter Desire), Picton Press, Rockport, Maine, 1990, 2008
Lainhart, Ann Smith & Robert S. Wakefield, Mayflower Families through Five Generations, Vol. 23 part I (First four generations of John Howland), General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA, 2006