Dilly, wife of Alexander Carpenter (mtDNA)
Completed as of May 6, 2021:
- Recruiting matrilineal (direct female-line) descendants of Dilly, wife of Alexander Carpenter for mtDNA testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
Almost nothing is known of "Dilly" (?Priscilla) the wife of Alexander Carpenter. "Dilly" was a witness of the 1611 marriage of Isaac Allerton in Leiden. Alexander and Dilly had eight children: Nathaniel (1582), Juliana (1584), Alice (1589), Joan (1590-1610 unm), Ann (1592-p1600 unm), Agnes (1593), Mary (1597 unm) and Priscilla (1598).
Juliana Carpenter was baptized Bath St. James, Somerset, England 7 Mar 1583/4 and died Plymouth 16 Feb 1665. She married twice, first Leiden 23 Jul 1612 George Morton (II) and second New Plimouth 1627 Manasseh Kempton (no children). By her first husband Juliana had five children (born Leiden except youngest supp. born at sea): Nathaniel (1613), Patience (c1615), John (c1616), Sarah (1618) and Ephraim (1623).
Alice Carpenter was born bef Oct 1589 presumably in Somersetshire, England and died Plymouth abt 26 Mar 1670. She married twice, first Leiden 28 May 1613 Edward Southworth (II) and second, New Plimouth 14 Aug 1623 William Bradford. Edward and Alice Southworth had two children (born Leiden): Constant and Thomas. William and Alice had three more children: William, Mercy (m. Benjamin Vermayes, no ch.) and Joseph. Thus, there are no living mt-DNA descendants of Alice.
Agnes Carpenter was baptized Wrington, Somerset, England 16 Dec 1593 and died Leiden bef 3 Jul 1615. She married Leiden 24 Apr 1613 Samuel Fuller (who later was on the Mayflower.) They had a child buried at Leiden 29 Jun 1615. No living descendants.
Priscilla Carpenter was baptized at Wrington, Somerset, England 3 Sep 1598 and died Plymouth 28 Dec 1689. She married twice, first New Plimouth aft 1627 William Wright and second Plymouth 27 Nov 1634 John Cooper. She had no children by either husband.
Patience Morton was born in Leiden abt 1615 and died Plymouth 16 Aug 1691. She married Plymouth bef 1633 John Faunce and they had eight children (born Plymouth): Priscilla (1634 m Joseph Warren), Mary (c1638 m William Harlow), Patience (c1640 m John Holmes), Sarah (1645 m Edward Doty (II) & John Buck), Thomas (1647), Elizabeth (1648-1649), Mercy (1651 m Nathaniel Holmes) and Joseph (1653).
Sarah Morton was born in Leiden abt 1618 and died Plymouth 25 Aug 1691. She married Plymouth 20 Dec 1644 George Bonham and they had four children (born Plymouth): Ruth (1645 m Robert Barrow), Patience (c1647 m John Holmes), Sarah (c1653 m John Bryant) and George (1657)
DNA results TBD
To date, we know of no matrilinear (all female line) descendants of Dilly, wife of Alexander, who has taken a mtDNA test. It is possible there may have been more than one wife, and selective mtDNA testing of descendants would likely shed more light on this subject.
External resources and references
- Baker, Peggy M., "Those Carpenter Girls!", The Mayflower Quarterly Magazine Dec 2013, pp. 328-39.
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Increasings From the Files of George Ernest Bowman at the Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, Second edition 1995, 1996. pp. 19-23, 60-61
- Ancerson, Robert Charles, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA 1995 v. I pp. 313-14.
- A Love Story:...
- Pilgrim Hall Museum Biography of Alice Carpenter Southworth Bradford.