Catherine Whelden (mtDNA)
As of September 28, 2020
- Page created for Katherine Whelden, wife of Giles Hopkins
- recruitment of individuals who are mtDNA descendants of Catherine (Whelden) Hopkins. Folks who are mtDNA descendants are encouraged to contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
Katherine was the second child and daughter of Gabriel Whelden, baptized at St. Leodegarius Church, Basford, Nottinghamshire England 6 Mar 1616/7. She married at Plymouth 9 Oct 1639 Giles Hopkins. She was last mentioned as living in the codicil to her husband's will, dated Eastham 5 Mar 1688/9.
Katherine and Giles had ten children; five sons and five daughters (Mary, Abigail, Deborah, Ruth [not known to have married] and Elizabeth [died young])
Mary Hopkins was born at Yarmouth in Nov 1640 and died at Eastham 2 Jul 1700. She married at Eastham 3 Jan 1665/6 Samuel Smith. They had seven children (all born Eastham): Infant son (1667-1667), Samuel (1668), Mary (1669/70), Joseph (1671), John (1673), Grace [1676-1691, never married] and Deborah )
Abigail Hopkins was born at Yarmouth in Oct 1644 and likely died at Eastham. She married at Eastham 23 May 1667 William Merrick (II). They had nine children (all born Eastham): Rebecca, William, Benjamin, Nathaniel, John, Joshua, Ruth, Samuel and Stephen
Deborah Hopkins was born at Eastham in Jun 1648 and died (probably at Eastham) 7 Dec 1727. She married at Eastham 27 Jul 1668 Josiah Cooke (II). They had eight children; five sons and three daughters (Elizabeth [d. young], Elizabeth and Deborah)
Mary Smith was born Eastham 3 Jan 1668/9 and died Chatham 5 Aug 1708. She married Chatham about 1693 Daniel Hamilton and they had Grace (1694-1694), Thomas (1695), Lydia (1697 m. (Capt.) David Butler & Jeremiah Eldridge), Mary (c1699 m. Judah Mayo), Samuel (1701) and Daniel (c1703).
Rebecca Merrick was born Eastham 28 Nov 1668 and died before May 1723. She married Eastham about 1690 Jonathan Sparrow (II) and they had Hannah (c1690 m. John Hurd), Abigail (c1692 m. Samuel Mayo), Jonathan (c1695), Joseph (c1697), Rebecca (c1700 m. Joshua Paine) and John.
Ruth Merrick was born 1683 and died 1766. She married twice, first Samuel Sears (II) and second Harwich 7 Dec 1731 Chillingsworth Foster. By her first husband (Samuel Sears) Ruth had: Abigail (1711 m. Peter Hall), Mercy (1713 m. Phillip Howes), Ruth (1715 m. Joseph Sears), Desire (1716/7 m. Lemuel Freeman), Mary (1718 m. Joseph Snow), Hannah (1720 m. Isaac Foster), Samuel (1721), Isaac (1723-1724/5), Seth (1725).
Elizabeth Cooke was born Eastham 1 Jun 1674 and died there after 7 Dec 1727. She married there Oct 1693 Thomas Newcomb and they had Edward (1695), Thomas (1697), Simon (1699), Deborah (1702 m. Thomas Lamkin), Mary (1704 m. Luke Stubbs), Josiah (1706), Elizabeth (c1709 m. Joshua Pierce) and Ebenezer (c1712).
Deborah Cooke was born Eastham 15 Feb 1678 and died Chatham 23 Apr 1743. She married Eastham about 1700 Moses Godfrey and they had: Jonathan (c1701), Samuel (c1703), Moses (c1705), David (c1707), George (c1707), Desire (c1709 m. Nathaniel Ryder), Mary (1711 m. Caleb Nickerson & Seth Smith), Deborah (c1715 m. Thomas Bassett), Elizabeth (1718 m. Benjamin Bearse), Benjamin (c1720), Joshua (1723) and Richard (c1725).
- Gabriel's wife was named Jane in an Aug 1637 record, but it is unknown if this was his only wife or not. See NEHGReg article on Whelden family.
- NEHGReg article on Whelden family
- Plymouth Colony Records 1:134
- Roser, Mayflower Passenger References, p. 252
- all but Elizabeth from Plymouth Colony Records
- Sometimes called Rebecca and stated to have been deceased in 1697 as not mentioned in her father's probate record. Birth record clearly states Deborah
At the present time no mtDNA descendant of Katherine (Whelden) Hopkins has publicly stated they have taken an mtDNA test. Individuals who believe they are an mtDNA descendant (in other words, who believe their mother's mother's mother's etc. mother was Katherine) are encouraged to take a full mtDNA test and to contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing DOT genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
References and External Links
- Austin, John D., Mayflower Families through Five Generations, vol. 6 Hopkins 3rd Edition 2001, Plymouth, MA; General Society of Mayflower Descendants
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Passenger References (from contemporary records & scholarly journals) Second Edition 2015, Canada [www.stewartbooks.com Stewart Publishing & Printing]
- NEHGRegister Article on Whelden family
- Pilgrim Hopkins Heritage Society