Priscilla Mullins (mtDNA)
As of June 26, 2020
- Page created for Alice, wife of Elder William Mullins and their daughter Priscilla
- recruitment of individuals who are mtDNA descendants of Priscilla (Mullins) Alden. Folks who are mtDNA descendants are encouraged to contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
Almost nothing is known about Alice, wife of William Mullins. She was named in her husband's 1621 will and died shortly after him, in the general sickness during the winter of 1621.
Priscilla Mullins was born about 1602, likely at either Dorking or Guildford, both in co. Surrey, England. She came over on the Mayflower along with her parents and brother Joseph. All of the Mullins family died during the winter of 1621 with the exception of Priscilla. Since she was not named in the 1623 land division, she was at that time already married to John Alden. The Aldens were among the first families to move away from the original colony and helped found what is now Duxbury (likely before 1630). She died sometime after 1651 but before her husband's death in 1687.
John and Priscilla had ten children, four sons & six daughters (Elizabeth, Sarah, Mary [unmarried in 1688], Priscilla [unmarried in 1688], Ruth & Rebecca)
Elizabeth Alden (1623-1717) married William Pabodie. They had thirteen children (two sons & eleven daughters: Elizabeth (1647-1678 m. John Rogers), Mary (1648-1728 m. Edward Southworth), Mercy (1649-1728 m. John Simmons), Martha (1650-1711 m. Samuel Seabury & William Fobes), Priscilla (1652-1652), Priscilla (1653-1724 m. Rev. Ichabod Wiswall, Isaac Averill & Michael Sprague), Sarah (1656-1740 m. John Coe), Ruth (1658-1725 m. Benjamin Bartlett), Rebecca (1660-1702 m. William Southworth), Hannah (1661-1723 m. Samuel Bartlett, John Churchill & Daniel Bartlett), & Lydia (1667-1748 m. Daniel Grinnell).
Sarah Alden (aft 1627-1677) married Alexander Standish. They had eight children (three sons & five daughters: Lorah (1661-1725 m. Abraham Sampson), Elizabeth (1663-???? m. Samuel Delano), Mercy (1665-1729 m. Caleb Sampson), Sarah (1666-1739 m. Benjamin Soule), & Lydia (1669-1734 m. Isaac Sampson)
Ruth Alden (1643-1674) married John Bass. They had eight children (four sons & four daughters: Ruth (1662-???? m. Peter Webb), Hannah (1667-1705 m. Joseph Adams), Mary (1669-1716 m. Christopher Webb, William Copeland & Ebenezer Spear) & Sarah (1672-1751 m. Ebenezer Spear)
Rebecca Alden (1649-1689) married Thomas Delano. They had nine children (five sons & four daughter: Deborah (1672-1717 m. John Weston), Mary (1680-1756 not believed to have been married), Sarah (1682-1746 m. John Drew) & Ruth (1684-1722 m. Samuel Drew)
- It is said they were the third couple married in Plymouth Colony. The first couple was the widow Edward Winslow to the widower Susanna (Jackson) White. Francis Eaton married his second wife, Dorothy about the same time as the marriage of Priscilla Mullins to John Alden. It is currently known which couple was married first, or if they were possibly married at the same time.
- Tradition states she attended the funeral of Josiah Winslow in 1680, but no contemporary record of her attending this funeral exists.
- later male line descendants changed the surname to Peabody
mtDNA Results H6a1a9
The Mayflower DNA Project lists three all female line descendants of Priscilla (and her mother Alice). All three have taken the full mtDNA test, which tests every single base pair of the mitochondrial DNA. All three fall under the H6a1a9 haplogroup. One of them has an additional mutation (C16234T) which must have occurred somewhere in this individuals maternal line of descent.
References and External Links
- Woodworth-Barnes, Esther Littleford (ed. by Alicia Crane Williams), Mayflower Family Through Five Generations, General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA part 1 (first four generations) 1999; part 2 (fifth generation of daughter Elizabeth) 2002; part 4 (fifth generation of daughter Ruth) 2015; part 5 (fifth generation of daughter Sarah) 2016
- wikipedia entry for Priscilla Mullins
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Passenger References (from contemporary records & scholarly journals) [www.stewartbooks.com Stewart Publishing & Printing], Canada Second edition 2015
- Caleb Johnson's Mayflower History entry for Priscilla Mullins
- Find-a-grave entry for Priscilla Mullins
- New England Historical and Genealogical Society "Mayflower 2020" entry for William Mullins family
- Alden Kindred of America website