Completed as of October 1, 2020:
- Recruiting additional direct male-line Peabody descendants for NGS/WGS SNP testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
Still to do as of August 29, 2020
- NGS/WGS test multiple Peabody descendants to firmly place family clade as well as discover any subclades unique to descendants lines
William Pabodie was born probably in England about 1620 and died Little Compton (now in Rhode Island) 13 Dec 1707 "in ye 88 yeare of his age. He married Duxburrow (now Duxbury) 26 Dec 1644 Elizabeth Alden (daughter of Mayflower passengers John Alden & Priscilla Mullins). They had thirteen children (born Duxbury); eleven daughters and two sons (John [died unmarried] and William)
William Pabodie (II) was born Duxburrow (now Duxbury) 24 Nov 1664 and died 17 Sep 1744. He was married three times, first 27 Jun 1693 to Judith Tilden (died 28 Jul 1714), then 20 Mar 1715/6 to Elizabeth Throope (died 14 Dec 1717). His third marriage was to Mary Morgan (no ch.)
William and first wife, Judith Tilden, had eight children (Little Compton): Elizabeth (1698), John (1700), William (1702), Rebecca (1704), Priscilla (1706), Judith (1708), Joseph (1708) and Mary (1712). William and second wife, Elizabeth Throope had one son, Benjamin (1717).
John Pabody was born in Little Compton (now in RI) 7 Feb 1699/1700 and died there 12 Jan 1767. He married Little Compton 7 Feb 1722/3 Rebecca Gray and they had twelve children (surname Paybody, born Little Compton): Elizabeth (1723), Antrace (1726-1726), Anna (1728-1728), Judith (1730), Mary (1731/2-1732), John (1732/3 m Deborah ____), Abigail (1734/5), Ephraim (1736 m Jane "Jennie" Compton), Sarah (1738), Mercy (1740), Comfort (dau 1744) and Ruth (1746).
William Pabodie (II) was born Little Compton (now in RI) 21 Feb 1701/2 and died 3 Jun 1778. He married Little Compton 30 Jul 1724 Jerusha Starr and they had nine children: Rachel (1725), Thomas (1727 m Ruth ____), Hannah (1729), William (1733 likely unm.), Lydia (1734/5), Samuel (1738 m Abigail Breed), Lemuel (1741-1759), James (1745 m Phebe Gray, likely no ch.) and Mary (1745).
Joseph Pabodie was born Little Compton (now in RI) 26 Jul 1710 and died Canaan, NY 7 Apr 1790. He married twice, first Little Compton 23 Dec 1733 Elizabeth Briggs and second, Lebanon (Goshen), CT 11 Sep 1760 Anne Metcalfe (no children). By his first wife Joseph had ten children: Nathaniel (1734 m Elizabeth Smith), Parker (1735 m Sarah Spafford), Mary (1737), Rebecca (1739), Isaac (1740 m Molly Clark), Aaron (1742 m Lucy Fitch & Rebecca ____), Benjamin (1744 no ch.), Elizabeth "Betty" (1745), Joseph (1747 no ch.) and Priscilla (1754).
Benjamin Pabodie was born Little Compton (now in RI) 25 Nov 1717 and died Newport, RI bef 5 Jul 1794. He ma5rried 7 Aug 1745 Abigail Lyon and they had three children: Elizabeth (1746), Benjamin (1750-1753) and Abigail (bp 1758).
DNA results TBD
Previous Y-DNA testing
As of 13 May 2021, Family Tree DNA does not list a Pabodie/Peabody surname project. In addition, it fails to list any kits under the Pabodie surname, but does list 27 kits using the Peabody surname.
Further needed testing
We need patrilineal (all male-line) Peabody descendants of William Pabodie to WGS/NGS test to both confirm the lineage as well as to refine the haplogroup further and delineate descendant clades.
- MF5G vol. 16 [Alden] part 2 [daughter Elizabeth] does document some male Y-DNA descendants of William Pabodie in the 5th & 6th generations. In addition the Alden Kindred genealogy database contains a number of male Pabody/Peabody/etc. of the 7th generation who married and had sons. It is assumed there are still living Y-DNA descendants today.
References & External Links
- Woodworth-Barnes, Esther Littleford (ed. by Alicia Crane Williams), Mayflower Family Through Five Generations, General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA part 1 (first four generations) 1999; part 2 (fifth generation of daughter Elizabeth) 2002
- Taylor Alden, Mary Langford, Elizabeth (Alden) Pabodie and Descendants, Eben Putnam, Salem, (MA): 1897
- Langeonline.com bio for William Pabodie
- Alden Kindred genealogy database
- Quahog.com "Grave of Elizabeth Alden Pabodie" also gives biography for William as well as Elizabeth
- Sakonnet Historical website another version of the above story about Elizabeth being the first White female born in New England. This biography is similar to the Quahog one, and also gives a biography for William.
- wikitree profile for William Pabodie
- Geni profile for William Pabodie