Completed as of October 1, 2020:
- Recruiting additional direct male-line John Bass descendants for NGS/WGS SNP testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
Still to do as of August 29, 2020
- NGS/WGS test multiple John Bass descendants to firmly place family clade as well as discover any subclades unique to descendants lines
John Bass was born 18 Sep 1630 at Saffron Waldon, Essex, England, son of Samuel Bass and Anne Seville. John died at Braintree on 12 Sep 1716. He married 13 Feb 1657 to Ruth Alden. They had seven children, four daughters and three sons: John, Samuel & Joseph
John Bass (II) was born Braintree 26 Nov 1658 and died 30 Sep 1724. He married twice: First about 1687 Abigail Adams (d. 1696) and second 27 Mar 1699 Rebecca Savil. By his first wife John had: John (1688-1762) and Samuel (1691-1774). By his second wife John had: Ebenezer (1702-).
Samuel Bass was born Braintree 25 Mar 1660 and died Bridgewater 20 Feb 1751. He married four times: First about 1685 Ann Kirtland (d. 1689), second Braintree 29 Nov 1689 Mercy Marsh (d. b1694), third Braintree 18 Jul 1694 Mary Adams (d. 1706) and fourth Boston 14 Oct 1706 Bethiah Nightengale (d. 1749). By his first wife Samuel had: Ruth (1688-1722). By his third wife Samuel had: Jonathan (1695-1750), Abigail (1697-1784), Mary (1698-1749), Samuel (1700-1768) and Bethiah (1704). By his fourth wife he had: child (1706-1708), Daniel (1710-1716) and Bathsheba (1711-1764).
Joseph Bass was born Braintree 5 Dec 1665 and died Boston 22 Nov 1733. He married twice first Braintree 5 Jun 1688 Mary Belcher (d. 1707) and second 23 Feb 1708 Lois Ivory (d. 1734). By his first wife Joseph had: Mary (1690-1740), Joseph (1692-1752), Benjamin (1694-1765), Moses (1696-1780), Ruth (1699-1752), John (1702-1702), Elizabeth (1703-1774) and Alden (1705-1737).
DNA results J2a1-PH3882
Previous Y-DNA testing
The Bass(e) surname DNA Project Group: Descendants of Deacon Samuel Bass of Massachusetts currently lists one individual who claims to be a patrilineal (all male line) descendant of Deacon Samuel Bass of Massachusetts (father of John). This individual has done Y-37 STR testing and FTDNA predicts they fall under Haplogroup J-M172. However, the project lists 111 Y-STR markers for this group, so it is likely there is at least one other individual who belongs to this group, but has chosen not to publish their results within the surname Project. Plugging the 111 Y-STR results into the Nevgen Haplogroup predictor gives a result of: J2-M172>>CTS7683>L26>>L25>Z438>CTS1192>L70>PF5430>Z435>PH3882 with a 92.3% probability.
Further needed testing
We need direct male-line Peabody descendants of John Bass to WGS/NGS test to both confirm the lineage as well as to refine the haplogroup further and delineate descendant clades.
- and other subclades of J-L70 are the next three highest probabilities.
References & External Links
- Woodworth-Barnes, Esther Littleford (ed. by Alicia Crane Williams), Mayflower Family Through Five Generations, General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA. part 1 (first four generations) 1999; part 4 (fifth generation of daughter Ruth) 2015
- Alden Kindred genealogy database