Completed as of October 10, 2020:
- Recruiting direct male-line descendants of John Thomson for SNP testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
Still to do as of September 29, 2020
- NGS/WGS test descendants of John Thomson to discover their subclade as well as possible descendants lines.
John Thomson (Tomson) was born about 1616, presumably in Wales and died at Middleborough 16 Jun 1696. He married Plymouth 26 Dec 1645 to Mary Cooke. They had nine children; four daughters and five sons (Adam [died young], John, Peter, Jacob, and Thomas).
John Thomson was born Middleborough 2 Oct 1648 and died there 25 Nov 1725. He married about 1676 to Mary Tinkham. They had eleven children; three daughters and eight sons (Peter, John, Ephraim, Thomas, Shubael, Francis, Ebenezer and Jacob).
Peter Thomson was born Middleborough 11 May 1649
Jacob Thomson was born Plymouth 24 Apr 1662 and died Middleborough 1 Sep 1726. He married Middleborough 28 Sep 1692 Abigail Wadsworth.
Thomas Thomson was born Plymouth 19 Oct 1664 and died Halifax 26 Oct 1742.
DNA results R1b-U152
Previous Y-DNA testing
The Thompson (etc.) DNA Project Subgroup: "R1b1a2a1a1 -(subgroup-a)" contains one individual who states his Most Distant Known Paternal Ancestor (MDKPA) was "John Thompson b.1616 UK d.1696 Massachusetts". This individual only has 37 Y-STR markers, but has also tested positive for the R1b-P312>>U152 SNP.
Further needed testing
We would need more Y-DNA descendants of John Thomson to take NGS/WGS tests to pin down the haplogroup, as well as possibly define subclades for various branches of the family.
References & External Links
- Woods, Ralph V. (with 2017 addendum by Susan E. Roser and Judith H. Swan), Mayflower Families Through Five Generations, vol. 6 Cooke General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA. Second edition 1999
- Wakefield, Robert S., Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: vol. 7 Brown, Second Edition, 2002, Plymouth, MA, General Society of Mayflower Descendants
- Underhill, Lora Altine Woodbury. Descendants of Edward Small of New England: and the Allied Families with Tracings of English (Revised Edition). (Cambridge, Mass.: The Riverside Press, 1934).