Completed as of February 27, 2021
- Recruiting direct male-line descendants of Samuel Seabury for further SNP testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact MayflowerDNA1620@gmail.com
Still to do as of February 27, 2021
- Determine whether there are any living Y-DNA descendants of Samuel Seabury.
For more information see: Woodworth-Barnes, Esther Littleford (ed. by Alicia Crane Williams), Mayflower Family Through Five Generations, Vol. 16 Alden
John Seabury son of Samuel Seabury, was born in England about 1610. His first known record was the purchase of property in Boston on 25 Nov 1639. His wife was named Grace They had several daughters and two sons: John and Samuel. John moved to Barbadoes, with his wife and son John moving there later. The widow Grace married Anthony Lane in Barbadoes.
Dr. Samuel Seabury was born Boston 10 Dec 1640 and died Duxbury 5 Aug 1681. He married twice, first Weymouth 9 Nov 1660 Patience Kemp (d. 1676). While they had seven children, they are not Mayflower descendants. One of their sons was John (see below) Samuel married second, 4 Apr 1677 Martha Pabodie (daughter of William Pabodie & Elizabeth Alden) and they had two children: Joseph (1678) and Martha (1679).
(Dea.) John Seabury was born Duxbury 7 Nov 1670 and died Hempstead, NY 17 Dec 1759. He married 9 Dec 1697 Elizabeth Alden and they had eight children: David (1698 m. Abigail Seabury, daughter of Samuel (II) and granddaughter of Dr. Samuel [above]), John (1700-1700), Patience (1702), John (1704 m Esther ROGERS Shapley) Samuel (1706 m. Abigail Mumford & Elizabeth Powell), Mary (1708), Sarah (1709) and poss. Nathaniel (1720 m Michal Williams).
(Lieut.) Joseph Seabury was born Duxbury 8 Jun 1678 and died Little Compton, RI 22 Aug 1755. He married twice, first Little Compton 25 Sep 1701 Phebe Smith and second Mary Ladd. By his first wife they had (born Little Compton): Samuel (1702 m. Lydia Ladd), Martha (1703/4), Joseph (1705 m Hannah ?Smith), Benjamin (1708 m. Rebecca Southworth, daughter of Mary Fobes), Sion (1713 m. Anna Butts & Dorcas Smith) and Mary (1715). By his second wife, they had: Phebe (1723), Martha (1724), Gideon (1726-b1759 unk. if m.), John (1727 m Mary Manchester), Elizabeth (1729), Sarah (1732) and Ichabod (1733/4 m. Temperance Pearce)
- called "Sarah" in the baptismal record of son Samuel in 1642, She was called Grace when she joined the church shortly before her son was baptized.
- Some references state there was a third (posthumous) child, but proof is currently lacking.
- Esther married first, New London 18 Aug 1730 Benjamin Shapley and third Stonington 17 May 1747 Jonathan Copp (III).
DNA results R1b-M269
Previous Y-DNA testing
The Seabury DNA Project currently only lists two 12 Y-STR kits, and they are a GD of 6 at 12 markers. Unknown if either of them are a patrilineal (all male line) descendant of Samuel Seabury. Both of these testers fell under R1b-M269, but with only 12 Y-STR markers tested, it is impossible to refine further.
References & External Links
- Woodworth-Barnes, Esther Littleford (ed. by Alicia Crane Williams), Mayflower Family Through Five Generations, Vol. 16 Alden General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA part 1 (first four generations) 1999; part 2 (fifth generation of daughter Elizabeth) 2002
- Access Genealogy: Seabury Family