Completed as of March 24, 2021:
- Recruiting additional direct male-line Daniel Cole descendants for NGS/WGS SNP testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
Still to do as of March 24, 2021
- NGS/WGS test multiple Daniel Cole (and hopefully through son John) descendants to firmly place family clade as well as discover any subclades unique to descendants lines
Job Cole was baptized Weeden Bec, Northamptonshire 6 May 1608 and died abt 1690. He married Plymouth 15 May 1634 Rebecca Collier and they had at least two children: Daniel (c1650), Rebecca (1654) and Samuel (c1656).
Daniel Cole was baptized at St. Olave, Southwark, Surrey 12 Dec 1614 and died Eastham 21 Dec 1694. He married abt 1643 Ruth Collier and they had: John (1644), Timothy (1646), Hepzibah (1649), Ruth (1651), Israel (1653), James (1655), Mary (1657), Hester/Esther (1661), William (1663), Daniel (1666) and Thomas (1668).
Daniel Cole was born bef Jun 1651 and died sometime between writing his will (27 Feb 1712) and its probate (7 Jul 1713). He married Mercy Fuller and they had three children: Mary, Elizabeth and Abigail.
Samuel Cole was likely born abt 1656 and died Harwich 4 Feb 1717/8. He married _____ and they had: Samuel (II) (m Mary ____ but no ch.), Stephen and Mary.
(Lt.) John Cole was born Yarmouth 15 Jul 1644 and died Eastham 6 Jan 1724/5. He married Eastham 10 or 12 Dec 1666 Ruth Snow and they had seven children (born Eastham): Ruth (1667/8), John (1669/70), Hepzibah (1672), Hannah (1675), Joseph (1677), Mary (1679) and Sarah (1682).
Timothy Cole was born Yarmouth 15 Sep 1646 and died Eastham aft 1695. He married Eastham abt 1670 Ruth Smith and they had at least one child: Timothy (c1685).
Israel Cole was born Eastham 8 Jun 1653 and died there 21 Jan 1723. He married Eastham 24 Apr 1679 Mary Paine and they had six children:
James Cole was born Eastham 30 Nov 1655 and died there in 1717. He married 10 Jan 1683 Hannah Childs and they had four children:
William Cole was born Eastham 15 Sep 1663 and died there aft 20 Nov 1735. He married Eastham 2 Dec 1686 Hannah, daughter of Stephen Snow and they had four children:
Daniel Cole (II) was born Eastham abt 1666-7 and died there 15 Jun 1736. He married Mercy Freeman. Daniel's will (20 Nov 1735, proved 7 Jul 1736) fails to list any children, so it is assumed there were no surviving children.
Thomas Cole was born Eastham about 1669 and died there 15 Jan 1694. He married Eastham 30 May 1719 Lydia Remick and they had at least two children: Robert and Abner.
John Cole (II) was born Eastham 6 Mar 1669/70 and died there 13 Dec 1746. He married twice, first abt 1693 Mary, daughter of James Rogers and second Eastham 15 Nov 1732 Sarah ?HAMLIN Higgins. All children by first wife (born Eastham): Jonathan (1694), John (1696), Mary (1698), James (1700), Nathan (1702/3 unm), Joshua (1704/5), Moses (1707 unm), Phebe (1709/10), Thankful (1712-b1716), Joseph (1714) and Thankful (1716).
Joseph Cole was born Eastham 11 Jun 1677 and died there abt 1765, He married tree times, first Eastham 4 Feb 1701/2 Elizabeth Cobb, second Harwich 6 Oct 1715 Mercy Hinckley and third Eastham 25 Nov 1747 Rebecca YOUNG Harding. By his first wife he had six children (born Eastham): Gershom (1702/3), Ruth (1704/5), Patience (1706), Elizabeth (1708/9), Sarah (1710/1) and Reliance (1713-1724). By his second wife he had three more children (born Eastham): Mercy (1716), Joseph (1718) and Mary (1721).
Jonathan Cole was born Eastham 4 Oct 1694 and died there bef 30 Jul 1743. He married Eastham 15 Feb 1715/6 Hope Young and they had eight children (born Eastham): Elizabeth (1716), Jonathan (1718 m Susanna ATWOOD Horton & Rhoda Snow), Hope (1720/1), Ruth (1722), Dorcas (1724), Mercy (1726), Nathaniel (1727 m Phebe Higgins) and Jesse (1732 m Mary Higgins & Sarah Lewis).
John Cole was born Eastham 14 Oct 1699 and died there in 1753. He married Eastham 8 Feb 1726/7 Mercy Mayo and they had four children (born Eastham): John (1728/9 m Martha Young), Theophilus (1730 unk if marr), Rebecca (1733) and Mercy (1735).
James Cole was born Eastham 23 Oct 1700 and died Middletown (now East Hampton), CT 27 May 1760. He married Eastham 9 Feb 1726/7 Mary Cole and they had seven children (first 4 born Eastham, last 3 Glastonbury, CT): Eunice (1728), Solomon (1730-1761 unm), Lois (1731), Mary (1733/4), Hannah (1737), James (1740-1761 unm) and Moses (1744 m Mary White Clark).
Joshua Cole was born Eastham 20 Mar 1704/5 and died there in 1773. He married Eastham 31 Jan 1733/4 Sarah Cole and they had ten children (born Eastham): Nathan (1734/5-1772 prob unm), Elizabeth (1736-1760), Ruth (1737-1760), Patience (1738/9-1755), Sarah (1740), Joshua (1742-1743), Lydia (1743/4), Joshua (1745/6 m Susanna Rogers), Marcus (1750 unk if marr) and Rachel (1752-1772).
Joseph Cole was born Eastham 13 Oct 1714 and died there abt 1795. He married Eastham 2 Dec 1736 Mary Young and they had six children (born Eastham): James (1737 unk if marr), Mary (1739/40), Phebe (1741), Kezia (1747), Thankful (1750) and Rebecca (1754).
Gershom Cole was born Eastham 1 Mar 1702/3 died there in 1782. He married Harwich 29 Jan 1729/30 Mary Rogers and they had eight children (born Eastham): Reliance (1730 dy), Patience (1732/3 dy), Hannah (1735), Reliance (1737), Patience (1739), Moses (1741-1772 unk if marr), Kezia (1743) and Azuba (1746).
Joseph Cole (II) was born Eastham 18 May 1718 and died there abt 1797. He married twice, first Harwich 17 Nov 1737 Sarah Nickerson and second Truro 2 Apr 1793 Anna HARDING Dyer. All children by first wife (born Eastham): Mary (twin 1738), Sarah (twin 1738), Reuben (1742/3 m Hannah Cole), Abiall (son 1745 m Hannah Linnell, Sarah Knowles & Abigail HIGGINS Snow), Henry (1748 m Desire Bassett) and Jesse (1755 m Bethiah Young).
- of St. Olave, Southwark, will 16 Nov 1630 names mother Frances and brothers Nathaniel, Job (1608), John (1611), Daniel (1614).
- will 2 Nov 1637 proved 7 Jan 1637/8, naming brothers Job and Daniel.
- sister to the wife of Daniel's brother, Job Cole.
- All these children are mentioned in the settlement of their father's estate.
- fined in Jun 1672 in Plymouth Court so likely then at least 21.
- only children named in Daniel's will.
- NOT listed as a child in Anderson's Great Migration Begins series. It is quite possible Samuel may have been born before Daniel.
- died 15 Jun 1736 "in Ye 70th Year of his age." (gravestone)
- gravestone, Cove Cemetery.
DNA Results I-A16747
The Cole (etc) DNA Project Group: I - M253 - Family Group 1 has four individuals with a Most Distant Known Paternal Ancestor (MDKPA) being Daniel Cole. Two of these individuals have done some Y-SNP testing and fall under Haplogroup: I1-DF29>Z58>Z139>S2293>Z2541>S19185>S23519>S20030>BY1482>A7000>A11161>A16748>FGC54631>A16747
NGS/WGS testing of known John Cole Y-DNA descendants would sollidify the haplogroup for the family and possibly define subclades for descendants.
External Links and References
- Austin, John D., Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: vol. 6 Hopkins, General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA. Third edition 2001
- Pilgrim Hopkins Heritage Society Lineage database
- Cole, William E., "The English Origins of Job, John, Daniel and Ruth Cole", The Mayflower Descendant", vol. 69 (Winter 2021) pp. 30-44
- Roser, Susan E., "Two Daniel Coles of Eastham, Massachusetts, and Two Wives Named Mercy[.] A Mayflower Line", The American Genealogist 75(2000):124ff.