Ruth, wife of Helkiah Tinkham (mtDNA)
Completed as of March 3, 2023:
- Recruiting matrilineal (all female-line) descendants of Ruth, wife of Helkiah Tinkham for full mtDNA testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact MayflowerDNA1620@gmail.com
To be determined as of March 3, 2023
- Unknown if there are any surviving matrilineal descendants of Ruth. If no surviving mtDNA line, then it may never be able to be determined whether Ruth was daughter of Jacob Cooke and Damaris Hopkins
For further information see Wakefield, Robert S., F.A.S.G. Mayflower Families through Five Generations: Vol. 7 (Peter Brown) General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA 2002.
The given name of the wife of Helkiah Tinkham was Ruth. Jacob Cooke and Damaris Hopkins had a daughter named Ruth who apparently was of an age to possibly be Helkiah's wife. However, there currently is no contemporary document or source which directly or indirectly links Jacob & Damaris' daughter Ruth with the wife of Helkiah Tinkham. If there are living matrilineal descendants of Ruth, wife of Helkiah Tinkham, then comparing their mtDNA results with matrilineal descendants of Elizabeth Fisher (maternal grandmother of Ruth Cooke) would at least indirectly address this issue. A mismatch in mtDNA haplogroups would almost certainly indicate Ruth was not daughter of Jacob and Damaris, but matching haplogroups would not, by itself, prove a relationship.
Ruth died aft 2 Apr 1737 (deed). She married abt 1684 Helkiah Tinkham and they had nine children (Plymouth): Helkiah (1685), Mary (1687), John (1689), Jacob (1691), Caleb (1693), Sarah (1696-1714/5 unm.), Ebenezer (1698), Ruth (1701) and Peter (1706).
Mary Tinkham was born Plymouth 13 Aug 1687 and died there 17 Mar 1717/8 in 31st yr. She married Plymouth 19 Jan 1709/10 Ebenezer Curtis and they had four children (Plymouth): Jacob (1710), Caleb (1712-1729), Mary (1714) and Sarah (1717).
Ruth Tinkham was born Plymouth 13 Feb 1701 and died Middleborough 7 Oct 1726 in 25th yr. She married (int. Plymouth 28 Jul 1722) Ebenezer Cobb and they had two children: Ebenezer (1723/4) and Ruth (1726 likely d.y.)
Mary Curtis was born Plymouth 21 Dec 1714 and died there abt 1735. She married (int. Plymouth 2 Jan 1733) Nathaniel Churchill and they had one child (Plymouth): Experience (1735 m Jabez Harlow).
Sarah Curtis was born Plymouth 19 Aug 1717 ad died after Apr 1734. She married (int. Plymouth 29 Dec 1733) William Griffing/Griffith but they had no known children.
Experience Churchill was born Plymouth 27 Aug 1735 and died Bangor, ME 28 Dec 1821. She married Plymouth 14 Oct 1752 Jabez Harlow and they had eight children: Jabez (1754-1780), Experience (1756-1769), Nathaniel (1758), Rebecca (1760-1766), John (1761), Ellis (1765), Lucy (bp1766) and Abner (1771).
- ↑ Ebenezer Cobb (by his second wife) named a daughter Ruth.
mtDNA results TBD
To date, no known matrilineal descendants of Ruth, wife of Helkiah Tinkham have taken a full mtDNA test and published their results. This may help determine whether Ruth was daughter of Jacob Cooke and Damaris Hopkins. Matrilineal descendants are encouraged to contact MayflowerDNA1620@gmail.com
- ↑ If the mtDNA does not match the mtDNA of Elizabeth Fisher matrilineal descendants, it would document where Ruth was almost certainly not the daughter of Jacob & Damaris. However, a matching mtDNA result wouldn't automatically mean Ruth has to be their daughter.
References & External Links
- Wakefield, Robert S., F.A.S.G. Mayflower Families through Five Generations: Vol. 7 (Peter Brown) General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA 2002.