Christian Hunter (mtDNA)
As of November 25, 2020
- Page created for Christian Hunter, wife of Richard More
- Recruitment of individuals who are mtDNA descendants of Christian (Hunter) More. Folks who are mtDNA descendants are encouraged to contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
Christian Hunter was the daughter of Thomas Hunter and Susan Gentleman, baptized at the parish church of Southwold, Suffolk, England on 8 Aug 1615. Thomas Hunter died sometime between 1623 - 1627 and the widow Susan married Richard Hollingsworth (Holland in marriage record) at Southwold on 14 Dec 1627. Richard, Susan and the children emigrated to New England aboard the Blessing in 1635
Christian married Richard More in Plymouth 20 Oct 1636 and died at Salem on 18 Mar 1676[/7?]. Christian and Richard had seven children; five sons and two daughters (Susanna and Christian). According to multiple sources, living descendants are only through granddaughter Susanna Dutch.
Susanna More was baptized at Salem 12 May 1650. She was married three times, first about 1674 to Samuel Dutch; second, by 1696 to Richard Hutton, and third (intentions filed Wenham 11 Apr 1714) to John Knowlton. Susanna only had children by her first husband (Samuel Dutch). They had four daughters (Barbara [died young], Susanna [died young], Susanna and Christian [died young]) living descendants are only through the second Susanna.
Susanna Dutch was born at Salem, 22 Apr 1683 and she was living in Hamilton, MA as late as 18 Aug 1762. She married at Beverly, MA 26 Dec 1705 to Benjamin Knowlton. They had three children; one son and two daughters (Susanna and Elizabeth).
Susanna Knowlton was born at Wenham, MA on 16 Mar 1714 and died at Granville, Nova Scotia about Jun 1788. She married at Wenham 30 Mar 1739 Josiah Dodge (III). They had seven children; three sons and four daughters (Susanna, Rhoda, Sarah and Phebe)
Elizabeth Knowlton was baptized at Agawam (Ipswich), MA on 20 Jan 1717 and died at Ipswich 27 Nov 1798. She married (intentions Ipswich 19 Aug 1737) to Nathan Brown. They had ten children; six sons and four daughters (Christian, Elizabeth [prob. died young], Hannah and Susanna [unknown if she survived infancy])
- The American Genealogist 78:241-44)
- The American Genealogist 40:77
- Plymouth Colony Records 1:45
- She married at Salem 31 Aug 1676 Joshua Conant, apparently no living descendants
- Salem Church Records, p. 22
At the present time no mtDNA descendant of Christian (Hunter) More has publicly revealed where they have taken an mtDNA test. Individuals who believe they are a mtDNA descendant of Christian are encouraged to take a full mtDNA test and contact Raymond Wing (email wing DOT genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
References and External Links
- Sherman, Robert M., Robert S. Wakefield and Lydia D. Finlay, [Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: vol. 15 More] 1997 Plymouth, MA General Society of Mayflower Descendants
- Anderson, Robert Charles, The Mayflower Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth, 16202020 Boston, MA New England Historic Genealogical Society, pp. 131-36
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Passenger References(from contemporary records & scholarly journals Second Edition, 2015 Canada. [www.stewartbooks.com Stewart Publishing & Printing], pp. 293-306
- Lindsay, David, Mayflower Bastard: A Stranger Among the Pilgrims New York: St. Martins Press, 2002
- The American Genealogist 78:241-244 "The English Origin of the Hunter and Hollingsworth Families of Salem, Massachusetts: In-Laws of Richard(1) More of the Mayflower" by Leslie Mahler