Completed as of December 22, 2022:
- Recruiting direct male-line descendants of Thomas Cheshire for SNP testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact MayflowerDNA1620@gmail.com
Still to do as of December 22, 2022
- NGS/WGS test multiple descendants of Thomas Cheshire to place the family clade as well as test descendants to discover any subclades unique to descendants lines
Thomas Cheshire/Chesher was born about 1663 and died Oyster Bay, NY sometime between writing his will (25 Jan 1715/6) and its probate (20 Mar 1715/6). He married Oyster Bay, NY bef 10 Sep 1691 Mehitable Dickinson and they had three children (named in their father's will): Priscilla (bef 1695), Thomas (c1697) and John (c1699 never married).
Thomas Cheshire was born circa 1697. He was married three times. His first wife (married about 1730) is unknown. He married second Aug 1755 Mary Robbins and third Oyster Bay 18 Jan 1765 Mercy Dorland. By his first wife he had three children: Amy (c1741), Nehemiah (c1745 m Hannah Underhill) and Benjamin (c1750 m Mary Youngs). By his second wife he had: Jeremiah (c1756). By his third wife he had: Henry (c1766), Deborah (c1768), Samuel (c1769), Elijah (c1770 m Lucinda ____) and Elizabeth (1772).
- Will of her mother named youngest daughters Mehitable Cheshire and Hannah.
DNA results TBD
The Cheshire DNA Project currently does not list anyone claiming Thomas Cheshire of Oyster Bay as their Most Distant Known Patrilineal Ancestor (MDKPA). Individuals who believe they are patrilineal descendants are encouraged to Y-DNA test, join this DNA project and contact MayflowerDNA1620@gmail.com
References & External Links
- White, Elizabeth Pearson, John Howland of the Mayflower, Vol. IV (daughter Elizabeth), Picton Press, Rockport, Maine, 1990, 2008
- Long Island Surnames: Cheshire (paid site)
- RootsWeb "Early New Netherlands Settlers" Cheshire