As of November 25, 2020:
- No matrilineal descendants, although she had at least four other sisters
- Low priority
Alice Carpenter was born about 1590 in England, the daughter of Alexander Carpenter and Priscilla (Drusilla) Dillen. She was married twice, first in Leiden, Holland, 28 May 1613, to Edward Southworth, then at New Plimouth 14 Aug 1623 to Gov. William Bradford. Alice died at Plymouth on 26 Mar 1670. By her first husband, Alice and Edward Southworth had two sons, Constant and Thomas. By her second husband, Alice and Gov. William Brewster had three children: William, Mercy and Joseph.
Agnes Carpenter (sister to Alice) was born about 1592 and was buried at Pieterskerk, Leiden 3 Jul 1615. She married Leiden 24 Apr 1613 (as his second wife) Samuel Fuller. They had a child who was buried at Pieterskerk, Leiden on 29 Jun 1615.
Alice and Agnes had sisters Juliana, Mary and Priscilla, so it may be possible to discover her mtDNA from her sisters' matrilineal descendants.
Mercy Bradford was born in new Plimouth by May 1627. She married Plymouth 21 Dec 1648 Benjamin Vermayes of Boston. Neither Mercy, nor any of her children, were mentioned in Gov. Bradford's 1657 will, so it is assumed she died shortly after marriage, with no surviving children.
Summary of findings
It would appear that there are no known direct matrilineal descendants of Alice and Agnes Carpenter.
- called "fourscore years of age" (80) at the time of her death.
- MD 18:68
- Estimate, based on married in Apr 1613
- Mayflower Migration p. 93
- Named in 1627 Cattle Division
- Plymouth Colony Records 8:5
- Lainhart, Ann S. and Robert S. Wakefield, Mayflower Families through Five Generations vol. 22: Bradford General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA 2004
- Roser, Susan E. Mayflower Passenger References (from Contemporary Records and Scholarly Journals) Stewart Publishing Co., Canada, 2nd ed. 2015, pp. 90-129
- Anderson, Robert Charles, The Mayflower Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth, 1620 New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA 2020, pp. 34-40
- Bowman, George E., Mayflower Descendant 3(Jul 1901):144-49, "Alice (Carpenter) (Southworth) Bradford's Will and Inventory"
- Campbell, Kay, The Mayflower Quarterly 65(Aug 1999):277, "Governor Bradford-Alice Southworth Marriage"