As of November 24, 2020:
- No straightforward opportunities for advanced Y-DNA testing
- Low priority
Summary of findings
No direct patrilineal descendants of Peter Brown(e), since all of his surviving children were daughters. There remains the opportunity for characterizing his Y-DNA through descendants of other paternal relatives. Even so, such a link would likely be tenuous since it would seem that the identity of Peter Brown(e)'s relatives in England carries some uncertainty.
Peter Brown(e) was likely the son of William Brown(e) baptized at Dorking, Surrey, England 29 Jan 1594/5. He married twice, first sometime after the 1623 Plymouth land division Martha _____ Ford (she died soon after the 1627 cattle division). His second marriage occurred about 1629 to Mary _____. Peter died sometime between 25 Mar 1633 and 28 Oct 1633.
Peter had two daughters by his first wife: Mary and Priscilla. He had a daughter (Rebecca) and a fourth child (who likely died young) by his second wife.
- Additional paper-trail research might allow additional Y-DNA testing candidates to be identified
- Wakefield, Robert S., Mayflower Families through Five Generations vol. 7: Brown General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA 1992, rev. 2002
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Increasings From the Files of George Ernest Bowman at the Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, Second edition 1995, 1996. pp. 29-32.
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Passenger References: from Contemporary Records and Scholarly Journals Stewart Publishing, Canada, 2nd ed. 2015, pp. 156-62
- Anderson, Robert Charles, The Mayflower Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth, 1620 New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA 2020, pp. 49-51
- Bowman, George Ernest Mayflower Descendant 5(Jan 1903):29-37 "The Settlement of Peter Brown's Estate and Deeds of Land Belonging to His Heirs"
- Barclay, Mrs. John E., The American Genealogist 42(1966):35-42 "Goodwife Martha Ford alias Widow Ford, Her Second Husband Peter Browne & her Children"
- Merrick, Barbara L. Mayflower Quarterly53[Feb 1987]:10-13 "Some New Information about Pilgrim Peter Brown"
- Johnson, Caleb The American Genealogist 79(Jul 2004):161-78 "The Probable English Origin of Mayflower Passenger Peter1 Browne, and His Association with Mayflower Passenger William1 Mullins"