By signing up for an account on this site, you are agreeing to the following, as a project participant (a DNA sample contributor or genetic data contributor):
I understand that this Mayflower DNA Project endeavors to test genetically, by commercial means, the DNA of participants and to analyze and compare results in order to gain insight into ancestry and genealogy of Mayflower passengers and their descendants.
I also understand the possibility that analysis and comparison of participants' DNA results may result in findings potentially indicating a previously unknown event in my ancestry, such as adoption, false paternity, or false maternity.
Privacy and results sharing
I agree to allow the Project to:
- Make my relevant genetic results (and associated kit ID) publicly accessible
- Display any third-party genetic data for me, which I may share with the Project or which may be obtained by the Project from publicly-available sources
- Display information about my non-living ancestors
- Disseminate findings based on my results (e.g. to news media or online mailing lists)
- (on my behalf) order tests and accept standard terms of genetic testing service providers, which may include (but are not limited to):
- Granting permission to ship my DNA sample, within the U.S. or internationally, for purposes of performing relevant genetic analysis and testing
- Granting permission for my results to be included in the comparison databases of individual companies
- Granting permission for testing companies to assign names and publicly share technical details for potentially-ancestrally-relevant genetic markers that may be identified from my results (mainly relevant to Y-chromosome tests)
The Project will not display my name or e-mail address unless 1) I specifically ask them to disclose this information or 2) I edit the Wiki myself to display this information.
Legal section (indemnification of Project Administrators and Contributors)
In consideration of this right to participate in the Mayflower DNA Project and with full knowledge of these possibilities as outlined above, and intending to be legally bound, I hereby agree for myself and on behalf of all of my family and heirs to RELEASE Project Administrators and Contributors from any and all liability, claims, demands or any causes of action, and NOT TO SUE OR OTHERWISE MAKE ANY CLAIM against Project Administrators and Contributors whatsoever which may arise during my participation in this Project. I assume full responsibility for any risk occurring from my participation. I give Project Administrators the right to see and copy my results and understand that Project Administrators will make a reasonable effort to ensure that I receive a copy of my test results.
I also agree to INDEMNIFY AND HOLD Project Administrators and Contributors HARMLESS from all claims, judgments, expenses and costs, including but not limited to attorney's fees, incurred in connection with any claims brought as a result of my participation in this Mayflower DNA Project and which are released by the terms of this agreement.
This RELEASE AND WAIVER is given in the interests of permitting this Mayflower DNA Project to go forward in the genealogical testing of this participant and of permitting Project Administrators and Contributors to serve the quest to fulfill project objectives through genetic testing as outlined above. Further, this RELEASE AND WAIVER is given to enable Project Administrators and Contributors to feel free to donate their services and time in organizing and managing this project without fear of liability. My release is given in exchange for being a participant in this project. This RELEASE AND WAIVER has no expiration date.
The Project reserves the right to revise this consent form in the future, with the understanding that, when the changes may adversely impact participant privacy, a reasonable effort will be made to communicate these changes to existing participants and to allow participants to opt out before changes take effect.
Note: If you wish to remain anonymous, it is suggested that you do not use your actual name as your username, as the Wiki account creations (along with any edits you may decide to make) are logged in the Wiki logs.
New accounts will not be able to edit project pages. If you are interested in editing the Wiki, please contact project administrators.
Mayflower DNA is made by people like you.