Sarah Bassett (mtDNA)
As of November 25, 2020:
Sarah Bassett was born in New Plimouth about 1628 the daughter of William Bassett and Elizabeth (Unknown). She died in Marshfield 22 Jan 1711/2. She married bef 6 Mar 1648/9 Peregrine White. They had seven children: Daniel, child (Joseph?), Jonathan, Peregrine, Sarah, Sylvanus and Mercy
Sarah White was born in Oct 1663 in Marshfield, and died 9 Aug 1755 in Scituate. She married Scituate in Jan 1689 to Thomas Young. They had nine children: George, John, Sarah, Thomas (d. young), Thomas, Joseph, Ebenezer, Joshua and Isaac
Mercy White was born Marshfield about 1670 and died Marshfield 12 Jun 1739. She married 3 Feb 1697 William Sherman (III) and they had six children including Thankful, Mary, Sarah (twin, never married), Abigail (twin, never married)
Summary of findings
- Not named in the May 1627 Cattle Division.
- Further research is needed to discover if there are still any direct matrilineal descendants of Sarah Bassett, wife of Peregrine White.
- Hodge, Harriet Woodbury, rev. by Robert S. Wakefield, Mayflower Families through Five Generations vol. 21: Billington General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA 2001
- Kindy, David, Mayflower Quarterly 71(Jun 2005):157-60, '"The Billingtons: Fractious First Family"
- Roser, Susan E. Mayflower Passenger References (from Contemporary Records and Scholarly Journals) Stewart Publishing Co., Canada, 2nd ed. 2015, pp. 77-89
- Anderson, Robert Charles, The Mayflower Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth, 1620 New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA 2020, pp. 31-34