Completed as of November 30, 2021:
- Recruiting matrilineal (all female-line) descendants of Elizabeth (Phillips) Alden for full mtDNA testing - anyone interested in submitting their DNA for testing should contact MayflowerDNA1620@gmail.com
For more information see: Woodworth-Barnes, Esther Littleford, edited by Alicia Crane Williams, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations, vol. 16 Alden General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA. Part 1 (first four generations of descendants) 1999
Elizabeth Phillips was baptized at Great Berkhampstead, Hertfordshire 15 Nov 1636, daughter of William Phillips and Mary Bishop. The family emigrated to Charlestown (now part of Boston) sometime between 12 Mar 1637/8 and 23 Sep 1639. Elizabeth married twice, first Boston 6 Jul 1655 to Abiel Everill (2 children, no Mayflower connection). Elizabeth married second, Duxbury 1 Apr 1660 (Capt.) John Alden and they had fourteen children (Boston): Mary (1659 d.y.), John (1660 d.y.), Elizabeth (1662-1662), John (1663), William (1664-1664), Elizabeth (1665), William (1666 d.y.), Zachary (1667), Nathaniel (1668), William (1669), Zachariah (1672), Sarah (1674 d.y.), Nathan (1677) and Sarah (1681 d.y.).
Elizabeth Alden was born Boston 9 Apr 1665 and died there aft 1 Sep 1739. She married twice, first Boston bef 1684 John Walley and second Boston 30 Apr 1702 Simon Willard. By her first husband Elizabeth had six children: Sarah (1684-1690), Abiel (son 1686 m Margaret Corwin), William (1687 likely unm.), John (1688 m Elizabeth Danforth but prob. no ch.), Elizabeth (1693) and Sarah (1695). By her second husband, Elizabeth had four more children: Samuel (1702/3 d.y.), Abigail (1702/3), Katherine (1704) and George (1706/7-1707).
Elizabeth Walley was born Boston 4 May 1693 and died there date unknown. She married Boston 12 Jul 1716 Joseph Russell and they had no children.
Sarah Walley was born Boston 27 Apr 1695 and died aft 17 May 1742. She married Boston 10 Jan 1720 (Rev.) Richard Checkley. No record of children.
Abigail Willard was born Boston 19 Jan 1702/3 and died Seekonk in 1776. She married Boston 18 Oct 1722 Joseph Bridgham Jr. and they had ten children: Joseph (1723), Abigail (1724), Mercy (1725), Elizabeth (1727), Sarah (1728-1728), John (1729), Hannah (1730 m Joseph Goldthwaite, no ch.), Sarah (1732 unm.) and Katherine (bp 1736).
Katherine Willard was born in Boston 20 Dec 1704 and died 15 Aug 1736. She married 24 Oct 1734 Othniel Campbell and they had one child (Plympton): Katherine (1735/6).
Abigail Bridgham born Boston 21 Nov 1724 and died Norwalk, CT 1778. She married Boston 24 Jul 1749 Joseph Gerrish, but they had no children.
Mercy Bridgham born Boston 27 Dec 1725 and died Plymouth 3 Aug 1769. She married twice, first Boston 10 Nov 1743 Robert Logan then Boston 17 Apr 1750 (Dr.) William Thomas. By her first husband she had (Boston): Lydia (1744-1745). By her second husband she had (Plymouth): Joshua (1751), Margaret (1752/3 m William Breck), Joseph (1755), Nathaniel (1756), John (1758) and Mary (1759-1776 unm.).
Elizabeth Bridgham born 4 Aug 1727 and died (West) Barnstable 30 Dec 1790. She married Plympton 4 Jun 1755 John Russell and they had (Barnstable): Jonathan (1756-1759), Abigail (1757 n.f.r.), John (1759-1761), Jonathan (1762), Otis (1763) and Mercy (1765-1766).
Katherine Bridham bp New North Church, Boston 30 May 1736 and died 5 Aug 1824 bur. (West) Barnstable. She married int. Barnstable 25 Jan 1766 Nathaniel Crocker and they had at least: Wadsworth (1767), Moody (1770), Martha (1777-1859 unm.) and Moses (1782).
Katherine Campbell born Plympton 3 Feb 1735/6 and died Attleboro 2 Mar 1804. She married twice, first Plympton 7 Nov 1765 Samuel Ellis then Plympton 25 May 1799 Benjamin Allen (no ch.). By her first husband she had (Plympton): Willard (1767) and Molly/Polly (1769).
- ↑ William and Mary were married at Tring, Hertfordshire on 8 Jul 1624. The parentage of both are currently unknown.
- ↑ burial of daughter Anne in Gt. Berkhampstead
- ↑ both admitted to Charlestown Church
- ↑ from Gravestone, but Second Church records had bp 30 Jul 1727.
mtDNA results TBD
To date there are no known matrilineal descendants of Elizabeth PHILLIPS Alden who have taken a mtDNA test and published the results.
References & External Links
- Woodworth-Barnes, Esther Littleford, edited by Alicia Crane Williams, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations, vol. 16 Alden General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA. Part 1 (first four generations of descendants) 1999
- Woodworth-Barnes, Esther Littleford, edited by Alicia Crane Williams, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations, vol. 16 Alden General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA. Part 3 (Fifth Generation for John, Joseph & Jonathan) 2004
- Bradley, Hal, The English Origin of William1 Phillips of Charlestown and Boston, Massachusetts and Saco, Maine The American Genealogist 86:296-301
- Alden Kindred of America website (genealogy database currently off-line)