As of November 25, 2020:
- No straightforward opportunities for advanced Y-DNA testing
- Low priority
Summary of findings
It would appear that there are no known direct patrilineal descendants of William Mullins.
Still, there remains the opportunity for characterizing his Y-DNA through descendants of other paternal relatives. Even so, such a link would likely be tenuous since it would seem that the identity of William Mullins relatives in England carries some uncertainty.
William Mullins was born about 1572, son of John Mullins and Joan Bridger. He died at New Plimouth on 21 Feb 1620/1. Noted Mayflower researcher, Caleb Johnson, published in the Mayflower Quarterly his research on William Mullins and his wife or wives. While Johnson was not able to prove his findings, he developed a tantalizing hypothesis from his research. Johnson believes William Mullins may have been married twice: His first wife possibly Elizabeth, daughter of John Wood and Joan Taylor. Elizabeth was believed to have been the mother of all of Williams' children. After her death, William possibly married Alice _____ Browne, widow of either William Browne (and therefor mother of Mayflower passenger Peter Browne) or possibly William's brother, Thomas Browne (who died in 1597).
William had five children: William, Elizabeth, Sarah, Priscilla and Joseph. Joseph never married and while William married and had a daughter, she never had any children.
- Estimate, based on marriage date of parents
- MQ 78(Mar 2012):41-57
- While not expressed by Johnson, it is possible William Mullins married widow Alice Browne about 1599 and she was the mother of his younger children.
- Additional paper-trail research might allow additional Y-DNA testing candidates to be identified
- Johnson, Caleb H., The Mayflower Quarterly 78(Mar 2012):44-57
- Woodworth-Barnes, Esther Littleford (ed. by Alicia Crane Williams), Mayflower Family Through Five Generations, General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA part 1 (first four generations) 1999; part 2 (fifth generation of daughter Elizabeth) 2002; part 4 (fifth generation of daughter Ruth) 2015; part 5 (fifth generation of daughter Sarah) 2016
- wikipedia entry for Priscilla Mullins
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Passenger References (from contemporary records & scholarly journals) [www.stewartbooks.com Stewart Publishing & Printing], Canada Second edition 2015
- Caleb Johnson's Mayflower History entry for Priscilla Mullins
- Find-a-grave entry for Priscilla Mullins
- New England Historical and Genealogical Society "Mayflower 2020" entry for William Mullins family
- Alden Kindred of America website