Mary Evans (mtDNA)
As of November 25, 2020:
- Major challenges to discovering matrilineal descendants
- Low priority
Very little is known about Mary Evans. Her first known record is her marriage at St. Peter, Sandwich, Kent, England 30 Oct 1589 to Francis Eaton. She was apparently the mother of all of Francis' legitimate children and died sometime before Dec 1613, when the widow remarried. They had ten children: Mary (bp. 4 Jan 1589/90, no further record), John (b. abt 1592), Catherine (bp. 1 Sep 1594, no further record), Richard (bp. 2 Jan 1596/7, no further record), Priscilla (bp. 24 Mar 1599/1600), Moses (bp. 10 Oct 1602, bur. 21 Apr 1603), Elizabeth (bp. 8 Apr 1604), Jane (bp. 8 Feb 1606/7, no further record), Moses (bp. 2 Apr 1609, no further record), and Judith (bur. 6 Nov 1609).
Priscilla Fletcher was bp. St. Peter, Sandwich 24 Mar 1599/1600. She was married three times: First Leiden 4 Apr 1626 [NS] Thomas Coit/Koet; second Leiden 1 Jun 1637 [NS] Help Terry and third Leiden 19 Jul 1652 [NS] Jan Jans Vermout.
Elizabeth Fletcher was bp. 8 Apr 1606. She married twice, first to Casper Bamaart and second Leiden 21 May 1636 [NS] to Michiel Voorchoren.
Summary of findings
It would appear that there are no known direct matrilineal descendants of Mary Evans, first wife of Moses Fletcher. Since the family remained in Leiden, finding matrilineal descendants is a real challenge.
- NEHGR 128:161
- Identify maiden name of Elinor and her origins.
- Wakefield, Robert S., New England Historical and Genealogical Register 128(1974):161-69, also Mayflower Quarterly 38(Aug 1972):89, 41(May 1975):45-47, (Aug 1975):86-88, (Nov 1975):126-29
- Paulick, Michael, New England Historical and Genealogical Register 153(Oct 1999):407-10
- Roser, Susan E. Mayflower Passenger References (from Contemporary Records and Scholarly Journals) Stewart Publishing Co., Canada, 2nd ed. 2015, pp. 224-26
- Anderson, Robert Charles, The Mayflower Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth, 1620 New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA 2020, pp. 86-87