Henry Cobb (Y-DNA)
Completed as of August 6, 2021:
- Recruitment of patrilineal (Y-DBA) descendants of Henry Cobb. Descendants are encouraged to contact MayflowerDNA1620@gmail.com
Elder Henry Cobb was born in Kent, England about 1605 and died Barnstable between 22 Feb 1678/9 - 3 Jun 1679. He was in Plymouth by Jun 1632, when his first child was born. He married twice, first Plymouth about Apr 1631 Patience Hurst and second, Barnstable 12 Dec 1649 Sarah Hinkley. By his firs wife Henry had seven children: John (1632), James (1635), Mary (1637), Hannah (1639), Patience (1642), Gershom (1645 never married) and Eleazer (1648 never married). By his second wife Henry had eight more children (Barnstable): Mehitable (1651-1652), Samuel (1654), Sarah (1657/8-1657/8), Jonathan (1669), Sarah (1663), Henry (1665), Mehitable (1667 never married) and Experience (1671 unk. if marr.)
John Cobb was the eldest child by the first wife. He was born in Plymouth 7 Jun 1632 and died there 22 Feb 1714. He married Plymouth 28 Apr 1658 Martha Nelson and they had five children: John (1662), Patience (1668), Ebenezer (1671), Elisha (1679) and James (1682)
Samuel Cobb (by second wife) was born Barnstable 12 Oct 1654 and died there 7 Dec 1727. He married Barnstable 20 Dec 1680 Elizabeth Taylor and they had ten children including son Jonathan.
(Dea.) Jonathan Cobb was a child by the second wife. He was born in Barnstable 10 Apr 1669 and died Plymouth 5 Aug 1728. He married Barnstable 1 Mar 1683 Hope Chipman and they had six children (Barnstable): Samuel (1683), Jonathan (1686), Ebenezer (1688), Joseph (1690), Lydia (1693) and Gershom (1695).
Jonathan Cobb was born Barnstable 25 Dec 1694 and died Harwich (now Brewster) 3 Aug 1773. He married 20 Oct 1715 Sarah Hopkins and they had seven children Jonathan, Sarah, Benjamin (1726, m. Sarah Freeman & Bethia Homer), Samuel (1728 m Sarah Bangs), Elkanah (1731), Eleazer and Elizabeth (1738).
John Cobb (II) was born Plymouth 24 Aug 1662 and died there 8 Oct 1727. He married Plymouth 5 Sep 1688 Rachel Soule and they had five children (Plymouth): John (1689), Martha (1692), Patience (1693), James (1696) and Rachel (1702).
- Date of codicil to his will - date will proved.
DNA Results R1a-YP1270
Previous Y-DNA testing
The Cobb Y-Chromosome DNA Surname Project Group R1a > M459 (SRY10831) > M198 > Z93 > Z94 > Z2124 > Z2122 > F1345 > F1345 > Y57 > Y52 > YP1270 (Descendants of Henry the Elder) currently has nine public Y-DNA results for descendants of Elder Henry Cobb. The family falls under the R1a>M459/(SRY10831)>M198>Z93>Z94>Z2124>Z2122>F1345>F1345>Y57>Y52>YP1270 haplogroup.
- According to Elder Henry Cobb DNA results, the Cobb family originally tested with Relative Genetics, which was later sold to Ancestry. Ancestry later abandoned their Y-DNA testing. The Cobb family has maintained the results from this DNA project on the web page above.
- It is currently unknown whether any Cobb has done any NGS/WGS testing to receive this result, or whether the Cobb DNA administrator used a tool such as Nevgen.org to come up with this haplogroup assignment.
References and External Links
- Anderson, Robert Charles, The Pilgrim Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth Colony 1620-1633"" New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston 2004, pp. 118-22
- White, Elizabeth Pearson, Edwin Wagner Coles, Roberta Gilbert Bratti, John Howland of the Mayflower: Volume 3, Hope Howland, Picton Press, Rockland, ME 1990
- Henry Cobb online genealogy