Hannah, wife of Joseph Rogers (mtDNA)
As of September 27, 2020
- Page created for Hannah, wife of Joseph Rogers
- Recruitment of individuals who are mtDNA descendants of Hannah. Folks who are mtDNA descendants are encouraged to contact MayflowerDNA1620@gmail.com The Thomas Rogers of the Mayflower DNA Project is willing to pay for mtDNA testing of qualified individuals. For more information contact project administrator: Steve Rogers (steve AT rogersemail DOT net).
For more information see: Westgate, Alice W.A., rev. by Ann T. Reeves, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations, vol. 19 Rogers
The only record of Hannah is the fact she was named in the will of her husband, dated 2 January 1677/8. As such, we cannot be certain whether Hannah was his only wife, and whether she was the mother to all/some/none of his children. mtDNA testing should be able to tell us whether all of the daughters had the same mother, but even then, we would not be certain whether Hannah was their mother. In any case, this profile is for the mother of the children (assuming they all had the same mother, whether or not it was Hannah).
The first child of Joseph Rogers was born Plymouth (poss. now Duxbury) 6 Aug 1633. Joseph had eight children: Sarah (1633-1633), Joseph (1635), Thomas (1638), Elizabeth (1639), John (1642), Mary (1644) and Hannah (1648).
Elizabeth Rogers was probably born at Duxbury on 29 Sep 1639. She died at Eastham about 1678. She married at Eastham 9 Jan 1660/1 Jonathan Higgins. They had five children: Beriah, Jonathan, Joseph, Jemima (m. John Mulford, but no children), Hannah (c1672) and Elisha.
Mary Rogers was probably born at Duxbury on 22 Sep 1644. She was living at Barnstable as late as 19 Apr 1718. She married (recorded at Barnstable) 10 Aug 1664 John Finney/Phinney. They had twelve children: John, Melathia (died young), Joseph, Thomas, Ebenezer, Samuel, Mary, Mercy, Reliance, Benjamin, Jonathan and Hannah (1687-1689).
Hannah Rogers was probably born at Eastham 8 Aug 1652. She was living as late as 18 Oct 1690. She married at Eastham about 1679 Jonathan Higgins (who was the widow of her sister, Elizabeth). They had five children: Elizabeth (1680/1), Mary (1682/3), Rebecca (1686) James and Sarah (1690)
Hannah Higgins was born (prob. at Eastham) about 1672 and died there 24 Jan 1731/2. She married about 1699 Nicholas Paine and they had seven children: Thankful (1699/1700 m. Jonathan Smith), Priscilla (1701 m. William Norcott (II)), Philip (1704), Lois (1705 m. Edmund Freeman (IV)), Abigail (1707 m. Thomas Higgins), Hannah (1709 no further record) and Lydia (m. Daniel Young).
Mary Phinney was born Barnstable 3 Sep 1678. She married twice, first Plymouth 29 Oct 1702 John Eastland and second Plymouth 12 Nov 1726 Jonathan Bryant. She only had children by her first husband (John Eastland): Zeruiah (1703 m. Barnabas Spooner), Joseph (1705), Elizabeth (1708 m. Amos Taber), Mary (1710, d. young), Hannah (1712/3 d. young), Jean (1715-1717), Joshua (1718) and Mary (1720 no further record).
Reliance Phinney was born Barnstable 27 Aug 1681 and died Plymouth 4 Dec 1735. She married Barnstable 27 Dec 1705 John Morton and they had six children: John (1706), Jonathan (1707/8), Josiah (1709/10), (infant daughter) (1711-1711), James (1714) and David (1716). In conclusion, there are no mtDNA descendants of Reliance.
Elizabeth Higgins was born Eastham 11 Feb 1680/1 and died there 4 Nov 1721. She married Eastham 3 Apr 1701 Thomas Mayo (II) and they had seven children: Elizabeth (1702 m. Joseph Paddock), Thankful (1703/4 m. Thomas Rich), Bethsheba (1705 m. James Allen), Eliakim (1707), Sarah (1710-1711), Joshua (1712), Mercy (1718/9 m. Elkanah Young).
Mary Higgins was born Eastham 22 Jan 1682/3 and died aft 2 Jun 1750. She married Eastham 12 Feb 1706/7 James Young and they had nine children: Phebe (1707 m. Judah Dyer, Nathaniel Atwood & Joshua Knowles), Sarah (1709/10 m. Joshua Crowell), Samuel (1712), Mary (1715 m. Reuben Kelley & Robert Newcomb), Lydia (1717-1717), Lydia (1718 m. John Rich), Hannah (1719/20 m. Reuben Buell), Elizabeth (1723 m. Francis Smalley "3rd") and James (1725)
Rebecca Higgins was born Eastham 30 Nov 1686 and died Colchester, CT 25 Dec 1776. She married Eastham 11 Aug 1715 Jacob Hurd and they had three children: Rebecca (c1718 m. James Brainerd & John Rowley), Jacob (1720) and Elizabeth (c1722 m. Robertson Williams).
Sarah Higgins was born Eastham 18 Oct 1690 and died after 1741. She married Eastham 10 Apr 1717 William Mitchell (II) and they had eight children: James (1718), Tabitha (1720 m. Joseph Burgess), Mercy (1722 m. Nathaniel Jenney), William (1725), Desire (c1728) m. Jethro Jenney, Hallett (c1735), Seth (1738) and Betty (1741 m. William Ryder (II)).
- listed in the Plymouth Colony records between the “1651 Sandwidge Regester of beirths of children” and the “1652 Plymouth Regester of the beirths of theire children” under the heading “These bee the names of Leiftenant Josephth Rogers his children as followeth...”
- It is possible they were married in Eastham, where all the other Rogers children were married.
- This is NOT the Hannah Paine who married Truro 1736 Joshua Snow.
To date, no known matrilineal (all female line) descendant has publicly revealed where they have mtDNA tested. Anyone who believes they are a matrilineal descendant (in other words, anyone who believes their mother's mother's mother's etc. mother was Hannah) is encourage to take a full mtDNA test and to contact Raymond Wing (email wing DOT genealogist AT gmail DOT com.
References and External Links
- Westgate, Alice W.A., rev. by Ann T. Reeves, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations, vol. 19 Rogers (Plymouth, MA: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 2000)
- Daniel, Elizabeth S. and Jeanne E. Sawtelle. Thomas Rogers, Pilgrim, and Some of His Descendants, (Baltimore, MD: Gateway Press, Inc., 1980) published for the Thomas Rogers Society
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Increasings From the Files of George Ernest Bowman at the Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, Second edition 1995, 1996. pp. 87-90
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Passenger References (from contemporary records & scholarly journals) Second Edition 2015, Canada [www.stewartbooks.com Stewart Publishing & Printing]
- WMGS (western Michigan Genealogy Society) Members' Genealogy
- Thomas Rogers Society