As of March 29, 2023:
- No straightforward opportunities for advanced Y-DNA testing
- Low priority
Summary of findings
The only proven child of Gov. John Carver apparently died young.
For further information see Allan, Sue, Caleb Johnson and Simon Neal, "The Probable Origin of Mayflower Passenger John Carver and the Minter Family in Suffolk", The New England Historical and Genealogical Register 174:5-20.
John Carver was baptized Great Bealings, Suffolk 12 Mar 1580/1 son of John Carver and Margaret _____. He died in Apr 1621 at the New Plimouth Colony. He married twice, first by 1603 Martha Rose and second, by 1609 Katherine WHITE Leggatt (no proven children). By his first wife he had a daughter Margaret (bp. 1603 likely died young). John moved from England to Leiden sometime between Apr 1608 (when he and his first wife sold the last of his inherited property) and May 1615 (when he served as a witness to a marriage in Leiden). Carver and Robert Cushman served as agents for the congregation to negotiate with the London "Adventurers" (investors who paid for the Mayflower voyage) to finance the emigration of the congregation to the New World. Immediately prior to their voyage to their new colony Carver was made governor of the setters.
- It is unknown whether John married his second wife in England or in Leiden. There is a burial record for a child of "Jan Carceer" at Leiden on 10 Jul 1609. It is currently uncertain whether this was John Carver or another individual. Some sources also give them a child buried Leiden 11 Nov 1617.
- Allan, Sue, Caleb Johnson and Simon Neal, "The Probable Origin of Mayflower Passenger John Carver and the Minter Family in Suffolk", The New England Historical and Genealogical Register 174:5-20.
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Passenger References: from Contemporary Records and Scholarly Journals Stewart Publishing, Canada, 2nd ed. 2015, pp. 163-72.
- Anderson, Robert Charles, The Mayflower Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth, 1620 New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA 2020, pp. 54-56
- Pilgrim Hall Museum biography of John and Catherine Carver.
© 2015-2023 mayflowerdna.org All Rights Reserved