As of November 24, 2020:
- No straightforward opportunities for advanced Y-DNA testing
- Low priority
Summary of findings
No direct patrilineal descendants of Peter Brown(e), since all of his surviving children were daughters. There remains the opportunity for characterizing his Y-DNA through descendants of other paternal relatives. Even so, such a link would likely be tenuous since it would seem that the identity of Peter Brown(e)'s relatives in England carries some uncertainty.
For more information see: Wakefield, Robert S., Mayflower Families through Five Generations vol. 7: Brown
Peter Brown(e) was likely the son of William Brown(e) baptized at Dorking, Surrey, England 29 Jan 1594/5. He married twice, first sometime after the 1623 Plymouth land division Martha _____ Ford (she died soon after the 1627 cattle division). His second marriage occurred about 1629 to Mary _____. Peter died sometime between 25 Mar 1633 and 28 Oct 1633.
Peter had two daughters by his first wife: Mary and Priscilla. He had a daughter (Rebecca) and a fourth child (who likely died young) by his second wife.
- Additional paper-trail research might allow additional Y-DNA testing candidates to be identified
- Wakefield, Robert S., Mayflower Families through Five Generations vol. 7: Brown General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA 1992, rev. 2002
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Increasings From the Files of George Ernest Bowman at the Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, Second edition 1995, 1996. pp. 29-32.
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Passenger References: from Contemporary Records and Scholarly Journals Stewart Publishing, Canada, 2nd ed. 2015, pp. 156-62
- Anderson, Robert Charles, The Mayflower Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth, 1620 New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA 2020, pp. 49-51
- Bowman, George Ernest Mayflower Descendant 5(Jan 1903):29-37 "The Settlement of Peter Brown's Estate and Deeds of Land Belonging to His Heirs"
- Barclay, Mrs. John E., The American Genealogist 42(1966):35-42 "Goodwife Martha Ford alias Widow Ford, Her Second Husband Peter Browne & her Children"
- Merrick, Barbara L. Mayflower Quarterly53[Feb 1987]:10-13 "Some New Information about Pilgrim Peter Brown"
- Johnson, Caleb The American Genealogist 79(Jul 2004):161-78 "The Probable English Origin of Mayflower Passenger Peter1 Browne, and His Association with Mayflower Passenger William1 Mullins"
- Pilgrim Peter Brown Society
- The Brown Family - The Mayflower Society
© 2015-2022 mayflowerdna.org All Rights Reserved