- 1 Status summary
- 2 Paper Trail
- 3 DNA Results I-FT1754
- 4 Related Families
- 5 External Links and References
As of December 30, 2015:
- Brewster surname project contacted
- Recruiting Brewster for Y Elite test. Interested persons can contact: MayflowerDNA1620@gmail.com
As of June 30, 2020:
- Three Big Y-700 tests results for descendants of Elder William Brewster (two for descendants of Johnnathan and one for descendant of Love)
For more information, see Lambert Merrick, Barbara, ed. by Scott Andrew Bartley, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: vol. 24 Brewster
Elder William Brewster was born circa 1566 in or near Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England, the son of William (II) Brewster & Mary SMYTHE Simkinson. He is the grandson of William (I) and Maud Mann and this William is said to be son of another William who died at Bently cum Arksey (next to Doncaster), Yorkshire in 1521. Elder William died at Plymouth on 10 Apr 1644, and Bradford called him "nere fourskore years of age" (ie nearly age 80).
Brewster married about 1592 to Mary _____ (maiden name unknown despite an extensive search) and they had: Johnnathan, Patience, Fear, infant, Love (son) and Wrestling (who never married). Y-DNA descendants of both Johnnathan and Love have completed DNA testing and verified the Y-DNA of Elder William.
- Pilgrim Hall Museum Biography of William Brewster.
- Brewster deposed in a Leyden affidavit dated 25 Jun 1609 that he was then "aged about forty two years", NEHGReg 18:20
- NEHGReg 124:250-51
- TAG 41:1-5 and NEHG Reg 124:250-54
- Gov. Bradford erred, when he stated Brewster died about 18 April. The "Brewster Book" (written by his son Johnnathan) stated William died 10 April 1644. See also NEHGReg 18:18-20
- Johnnathan Brewster is believed to be the eldest son. He recorded his birthdate in a bound volume now called the "Brewster Book" where he states he was born 12 Aug 1593. See MD 1:Frontspiece as well as article 1-ff.
- He consistently wrote his name with this unusual spelling in his "Brewster Book"
William and Mary had three sons, but their son, Wrestling never married. Thus the Y-DNA descent comes down through their two sons Johnnathan & Love. Y-DNA STR and Big Y-700 testing have been done on both lines, and they match up, thus proving the Y-DNA signature for William Brewster. Currently, the descendants of Johnnathan (18 in number) have DYS19=16 while descendants of Love (7 in number) have DYS19=15. There are some unconnected Brewsters who have done Y-STR testing who are DYS19=14, so it appears Love has the ancestral value (DYS19=15) while Jonathan (or his son Benjamin, or Benjamin's son William) had a mutation to DYS19=16.
Johnnathan - Three sons, but the two oldest (William and Johnnathan) are believed to have emigrated back to England, and their further history is unknown. This line continues through son (Capt.) Benjamin.
Love - Three sons, but eldest son (Nathaniel) had no children. This line continues through sons (Deacon) William & Wrestling.
(Capt.) Benjamin - Four sons: Jonathan, (Capt.) Daniel, William & Benjamin (II)
(Deacon) William - Five sons: Nathaniel, William (II), Benjamin, Joseph & Joshua
Wrestling - Three sons: Jonathan, (Dea.) Wrestling (II) & John, but John's only son never married so descent from only two sons.
- Two Y-DNA descendants listed on the wikitree profile for William Brewster
- See Mayflower "Silver Book" Vol. 24 (Brewster) part 1 p. 117
- He also had two sons named Judah, both died young.
- He also had two son named Truelove, Both died young.
- He possibly had a sixth son, Jonathan, b c1722
DNA Results I-FT1754
The Mayflower DNA Project and the Brewster/Bruster DNA Project has recorded a number of individuals who are patrilineal (all male line) descendants of both sons of Elder William Brewster (ie Johnnathan & Love). Almost all of them have only done STR testing to date, with the majority being either 37 STRs or 67 STRs. There is one STR difference between the descendants of Johnnathan (DYS19=16) and the descendants of Love (DYS19=15).
Currently three individuals in the project who have done the Big Y-700 test (two descended from Johnnathan and one from Love) and their results (as of 30 Jun 2020) all are under I-M253>Z17954>FGC47136>S2304> Z17942>Z17928>Z17926>Z17924>A9783>A19407>FT1754. Additionally, the two descendants of Johnnathan Brewster have tested positive for a mutation the descendant of Love has tested negative (FT759). This mutation had to occur somewhere between Johnnathan Brewster, his son Benjamin, and his son William (as the two testers descend from different sons of William).
- There are some members of the Brewster/Bruster DNA Project who are unable to trace their ancestry back to Elder William Brewster, but whose STR markers indicate they are certainly related to the family. Curiously, they all have DYS19=14.
The following are the lineages of the patrilineal descendants who have taken Y-DNA testing. Those in bold font have taken the Big Y-700 test. There are currently DNA results for all three grandchildren of (Elder) William Brewster (Benjamin, William and Wrestling), so we can verify these generations are genetically/biologically accurate.
01 Elder William Brewster (1566-1644) 02 Johnnathan Brewster (1593-1659) 03 (Capt.) Benjamin (1633-1710) 04 (Capt.) Daniel (1666/7-1735) 05 Jonathan (1705-1776) 06 (Deacon) Jonathan (1734-1800) 07 (Dr.) Moses (1769-1809) 08 Moses (II) (1805-1882) 09 Edwin M. (1836-1920) 10 Sherman Edwin (1867-1957) 11 Jesse Hammitt (1894-1969) 12 Glenn Leslie "Bill" (1920-2006) 13 father 14 tester
04 William (1669-1728) 05 William (II) (1695-p1764) 06 (poss.) Pelatiah Bruster (1741-b1806) 07 Samuel (1762-1833) 08 Ellet (Elliot) (1794-1851) 09 Clark B. (1834-1902) 10 Horace Clark (1867-1921) 11 Earl (1898-1975) 12 tester (deceased)
06 John (c1746-1806) 07 Tartulus (1775-1848) 08 Morgan Lewis (1804-1874) 09 Joshua (1844-1922) 10 William Vernon (1879-1943) 11 Kenneth Leon (1911-1984) 12 father 13 tester
05 Ebenezer (1702/3-c1774) 06 (Deacon) Charles (1724-1790) 07 Eliphaz (1747-1828) 08 Lewis (1774-1837) 09 Oliver B. (1799-c1864) 10 Herman (1824-p1860) 11 Charles H. (1852-1919) 12 Eugene (c1881-1913) 13 Francis W. (1912-1965) 14 father 15 tester
06 Ebenezer (II) (c1740-1818) 07 Jeremiah F. (1771-p1830) 08 Jesse (c1818-1882) 09 George Franklin (1858-1911) 10 Robert Wesley (1896-1950) 11 Aubrey Lee (1910-1939) 12 father 13 tester
06 Comfort (c1741-1799) 07 Ebenezer (c1773-1848) 08 Thomas D. (c1792-1875) 09 Hardin (1848-1922) 10 Howard Windsor (1887-1968) 11 Clarence Frank (1913-1971) 12 father 13 tester
02 Love Brewster (c1607-c1650) 03 (Deacon) William (1645-1723) 04 William (II) (1683-1708) 05 Oliver (1708-p1776) 06 (Deacon) Wadsworth (1737-1812) 07 (Capt.) Silas (1767-1808) 08 Alvin (1792-1879) 09 Irvine R. (1822-1904) 10 Alvin Adelbert (1851-1926) 11 Emory Merton (1872-1914) 12 Alvin Blake (1898-1975) 13 tester (deceased)
07 (Judge) Elias Morgan (1782-1858) 08 Sardius Clark (1833-1915) 09 Ernest Lewellyn (1855-1950) 10 Albert Henry (1898-1993) 11 father 12 tester
04 Benjamin (1688-1752) 05 Simon (1720-1801) 06 Joseph (1763-1805) 07 James (1788-1866) 08 (Rev.) Joseph (1822-1895) 09 James Henry (1856-1920) 10 Oswald Cammann (1896-1958) 11 grandfather 12 father 13 tester
03 Wrestling (c1647-1696/7) 04 Jonathan (c1693-1753) 05 (Capt.) James (1715-1755) 06 David (1753-1836) 07 James (1778-1862) 08 Mortimer Spencer (1820-1902) 09 Walter Herbert (1865-1958) 10 father 11 tester
05 Jonah (c1721-1750) 06 (Deacon) Jonah (1750-1833) 07 Leonard (1786-1878) 08 Jonah (1820-1861) 09 Walter J. (1858-1929) 10 Lewis William (1908-1996) 11 father 12 tester
Jonathan Sparrow was the second husband to Hannah Prence
- This line has some uncertainty, but the DNA test results and traditional "paper trail" genealogy strongly support Samuel Bruster (generation 07) was a grandson of William Brewster (II) (generation 05)
- Thomas and Rebecca had two daughters and one son, Thomas (III). The son Thomas apparently emigrated back to London, England. The Great Migration Begins III:1523 states family letters indicate he had a widow and a daughter, but failed to note any son. Gov. Prence married two more times, but the children by these marriages have no Mayflower ancestry.
- based on Big Y-700 result of a descendant of William Mayo of Isle of Wight, Virginia. STR results indicate this family is related to the Rev. John Mayo of Barnstable, Massachusetts. The descendants of William are FT137226+ (a subclade of Z39896), but it is currently unknown if the descendants of Rev. John are positive for this clade.
External Links and References
- Lambert Merrick, Barbara, ed. by Scott Andrew Bartley, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: vol. 24 Brewster General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA. part 1 (first four generations) 2014
- Lambert Merrick, Barbara, ed. by Scott Andrew Bartley, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: vol. 24 Brewster General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA. part 2 (fifth and sixth generation from son Jonathan) 2019
- Silver Books Project (Silver Books & Mayflower Families in Progress) Also Facebook Group
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Increasings From the Files of George Ernest Bowman at the Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, Second edition 1995, 1996. pp. 24-28.
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Passenger References, (from contemporary records & scholarly journals) [www.stewartbooks.com Stewart Publishing & Printing], Canada. Second edition 2015
- The Elder William Brewster Society
- 1908 Brewster Genealogy (2 vols.) by Emma C. Brewster Jones
- FTDNA The Brewster/Bruster DNA website Y-DNA STR results
- Wikipedia article on Elder William Brewster
- "A Genealogical Profile of William Brewster" by Plimouth Plantation & the NEHG Society
- Caleb Johnson biography on William Brewster
- Pilgrim Hall biography on William Brewster
- FTDNA The Mayflower Society Y and mtDNA Project
- Find-a-grave entry for William Brewster
- Full Genomes Corp. and Y-Elite 2.1 test
- YSEQ which uses traditional Sanger Sequencing to test for Y-DNA SNPs
- wikitree entry for Elder Brewster and links to his family
- The General Society of Mayflower Descendants
- The Brewster Family - The Mayflower Society
© 2015-2022 mayflowerdna.org All Rights Reserved