(poss.) Susanna (Unknown) (mtDNA)
As of April 7, 2020
- Page created for the wife of James Chilton
- Known mtDNA descendants of her daughter Mary (Chilton) Winslow contacted
- recruitment of individuals who are mtDNA matches T2b+16288C. Matches are encouraged to contact Raymond T. Wing (email: wing.genealogist AT gmail DOT com)
Many genealogists have been searching for the identity of the wife of James Chilton. The only clue we currently have is recorded in the 1840 History of Bridgewater, Massachusetts by Hon. Nahum Mitchell. The book reported the given name of Mrs. Chilton as Susanna. When Nathaniel B. Shurtleff later asked Judge Mitchell about the source of this information, Mitchell stated he could not recall, but believed he had "good authority" for calling her Susanna. It must be noted Mitchell erred in the identification of other settler's wives, so his claim regarding the given name of the wife of James Chilton may similarly be in error.
James and his wife were married about 1583 presumably in or near Canterbury, Kent, England where their older children were baptised.
James came over on the Mayflower with his wife and only one of his children, youngest daughter Mary (baptized St. Peter's Parish, Sandwich on 31 May 1607). James died on board the Mayflower while it was docked at Cape Cod Harbour (now Providence) on 8 Dec 1620. His widow died during the general sickness sometime during the winter of 1620/1.
- Some have theorized where the wife may have been Susanna Furber, daughter of his step-mother (Isabell) by her first husband, Francis Furber. Susanna Furber was baptized 5 Nov 1573, so she was not old enough to have a child baptized in 1584.
- Their first known child, Joell was baptized at St. Paul's Canterbury on 16 Aug 1584. While this baptismal record does not name Joell's parents, his burial record states he was son of James Chilton.
mtDNA Results T2b+16288C
Three mtDNA descendants of Mary (Chilton) Winslow have taken a full mtDNA test and have their results posted in various Family Tree DNA Projects such as the Mayflower DNA Project. The three identified descendants descend from two different daughters [Mary (Winslow) Gray and Susanna (Winslow) Latham]. While it is not known whether any of these individuals have joined the General Society of Mayflower Descendants (GSMD), the fact they are exact mtDNA matches from two different daughters of Mary Chilton (wife of John Winslow) does provide an adequate level of "proof."
The Haplogroup assigned to the full mtDNA results is T2b, but all three results include an additional HVR1 mutation at: 16288C.
The lineage of the three known mtDNA descendants is as follows:
Mary1 Chilton (1607-1679) married John Winslow Susanna2 Winslow (c1630-p1685) married Robert Latham Mercy3 Latham (1650-b1698) married Isaac Harris Susannah4 Harris (b1680-p1730) married Jeremiah Newland (II) Keturah5 Newland (b1704-b1748) married Anthony Pearce Susannah6 Pierce (1731-1808) married George Bradley Susannah7 Bates (1785-b1840) married Isaiah Tubbs alias Allen Fidelia "Phebe"8 Allen alias Tubbs (1814-1910) married George Newell Tilson Marina A.9 Chilson (1838-1925) married Ezra Olin Nye Mary Fidelia10 Nye (1861-1946) married Samuel Hammond Longstreth Grace11 Longstreth (1890-1966) married Matthew David Ramsey mother12 tester13 Hannah3 Latham (1657-1725) married Joseph Washburn Hepzibah4 Washburn (c1657-c1726) married Benjamin Leach Anne5 Leach (1703-1738) married Samuel Packard Anne6 Packard (1723-b1823) married Elijah Edson Anna7 Edson (1744-1821) married Eliab Washburn Olive H.8 Washburn (1777-1860) Horace "John" Coy Olive M.9 Coy (1816-1880) married George William "Alvin" Delvee Salina "Lina" Olive Etta10 Delvee (1851-1912) married Edwin Leonard Pierce Nellie Effie11 Pierce (1870-1952) married Albertus "Bert" Hammer Ollie Almeda12 Hammer (1895-1964) married Ullah A. Hensley mother13 tester14 Mary2 Winslow (c1632-c1664) married Edward Gray Elizabeth3 Gray (1658-p1721) married (Capt.) Seth Arnold Desire4 Arnold (c1687-b1715) married Ichabod Bartlett Sarah5 Bartlett (1710-1775) married Cornelius Drew Sarah6 Drew (1740-1822) married John Adams Sarah "Sally"7 Adams (1773-1853) married Seth Washburn (II) Marcia Holmes8 Washburn (1793-1857) married Nathaniel A. Faunce Lucia Drew9 Faunce (1831-1899) married Davis Whiting Bowker Julia Evaline10 Bowker (1858-1936) married Elwin Nicholas Stranger Annie Gertrude11 Stranger (1882-1920) married William Chester Thomas mother12 tester13
- https://www.familytreedna.com/public/mayflowersociety?iframe=mtresults under Mary Chilton
- In addition, there are a total of five individuals who are exact full mtDNA matches
- due to the rare nature of the T2b+16288C haplogroup
- It is hoped this additional mutation would form a new subclade of T2b at some time in the future.
While James Chilton and his wife had at least ten children (three sons and seven daughters) only the two daughters who came to Plymouth Colony (Mary and Isabella) have had their families traced. There is a real possibility of mtDNA descendants living in the Netherlands and/or England or somewhere else.
Isabella Chilton was the eldest surviving child, baptized at St. Paul's Cathedral, Canterbury, Kent, England on 15 Jan 1586/7. She married at Leiden 21 Jul 1615 to Roger Chandler. While Roger & Isabella had one son (Samuel, who presumably died young) and three daughters (Sarah, Martha & Mary), the most recent Mayflower "Silver Book" documents only one female mtDNA descendant of the Sixth Generation. This was Hannah Prisberry (Martha Smith, Mary Bundy, Martha Chandler, Isabella Chilton, (poss.) Susanna). Hannah was born at Taunton 1 Oct 1715. Given the fact it is much more difficult to trace maternal lines than paternal lines, it is possible there are unidentified mtDNA descendants of Isabella living today.
Mary Chilton was the youngest child, baptized at St. Peter's Church, Sandwich, Kent, England on 30 May 1607. She married at New Plimouth before the 1627 Cattle Division to John Winslow. They had ten children (one infant [sex unknown], six sons and three daughters [Susanna, Mary and Sarah])
Susanna Winslow was born about 1630 and died at Bridgewater between 31 Jul 1676 and 3 Oct 1683. She married presumably at Plymouth about 1649 to Robert Latham. They had eight children, three sons and five daughters: Mercy, Susanna, Hannah, Elizabeth and Sarah (c1672- , unknown if ever married). mtDNA descendants of both Mercy & Hannah have done Full mtDNA testing and are a perfect match to each other.
Mary Winslow was born about 1632 and died at Plymouth between 1664-1665. She married at Plymouth 16 Jan 1650/1 to Edward Gray. They had six children, one son and five daughters: Desire, Mary (1653-b1681, never married), Elizabeth, Sarah and Anna. A mtDNA descendant of daughter Mary has done full mtDNA testing and is an exact match to the two mtDNA descendants of Mary's sister, Susanna (Winslow) Latham.
Sarah Winslow was born abt 1638 and died at Boston 9 Apr 1726. She was married three times, her first marriage Boston 19 Jul 1660 to Myles Standish (II) (son of Mayflower passenger Myles Standish). The younger Myles died at sea after 20 Aug 1661 and the widow married 1665 Tobias Payne (Paine). He died Boston 12 Sep 1669 (only one son) and the widow married for a third time, about 1672 to Richard Middlecott. She had one son and three daughters (Mary, Sarah and Jane) by this last marriage.
Mercy Latham was born Plymouth 2 Jun 1650 and died Bridgewater in Jun 1698. She married before 29 Oct 1668 Isaac Harris and they had: Desire (1669-1698 m. John Kingman), Jane (1671 m. Robert Gould, Pelatiah Smith & James Dunbar), Arthur (c1672), Isaac (c1674), Samuel (c1675), Susanna (c1678 m. Jeremiah Newland (II) & John Pierce) and Mary (c1679 m. Daniel Packard).
Susanna Latham was born about Plymouth about 1656 and died there in Jun 1703. She married Bridgewater 1678 John Haward/Howard (II) and they had six children: Martha (1681 m. David Perkins (II)), Susanna (c1683 m. Nathaniel Harvey & (Capt.) Nathaniel Ames), Edward (1687), Bethia (c1691 m. John Hayes & Jonathan Randall), Samuel (1699), Robert (1699) and Sarah (1701 m. (Rev.) David Turner).
Hannah Latham was born about 1657 and died Bridgewater about 1725. She married about 1677 Joseph Washburn and they had (born Bridgewater): Miles (c1678), Hepzibah (c1681 m. Benjamin Leach, Esq.), Jonathan (c1683), Joseph (c1686), Mary (c1689 m. Thomas Perkins), Ebenezer (c1693), Ephraim (c1695), Rebecca (c1695 m. (Capt.) David Johnson), Edward (c1699), Hannah (c1702 prob. m. Nathan Bassett) and Benjamin (c1702).
Elizabeth Latham was born Bridgewater about 1665 and died Kingston 16 Nov 1730. She married Plymouth 2 Aug 1687 Francis Cooke and they had eight children: Susanna (1689-1769 m. James Sturtevant), Joseph (1690), Robert (1691), Caleb (1695), Francis (1696), Sarah (1698-1730 m. Ephraim Cole), Martha (1699) and Elizabeth (1707-1750 m. David Leach).
Desire Gray was born Plymouth 6 Nov 1651 and died there 4 Dec 1690. She married 10 Jan 1671/2 Nathaniel Southworth and they had: Mary (1676 m. Joseph Rider), Ichabod (1678), Nathaniel (1684), Elizabeth (1687 m. James Sproat) and Edward (c1689).
Elizabeth Gray was born Plymouth 11 Feb 1657/8 and died Boston after 22 Dec 1721. She married before 1680 Capt. Seth Arnold and they had: Edward (1680), Penelope (1682-1715 prob. never married), Benjamin (1688), Elizabeth (c1689 m. Anthony Waterman & Jonathan Alden) and James (1700).
Sarah Gray was born Plymouth 12 Aug 1659 and died Bristol (now part of RI) 14 Feb 1736/7. She married Marshfield 18 May 1682 (Lt.) Samuel Little and they had: Thomas (1683 d. young), Sarah (1685-1742 m. (Rev.) Richard Billings), Samuel 1691 and Edward (p1692).
Anna Gray was born Plymouth about 15 Oct 1664 and died Boston 30 Jul 1728. She possibly married before 1690 James Leblond and they had: James (1690 d. young), James (1691), Ann (1693 d. young), Peter (1695), Gabriel (1698), Ann (1700 prob. d. young), Alexander (1703), Phillippa (1704-p1773 never married), Marian (1705/6-p1773 never married) and Alexander (1709).
Mary Middlecott was born Boston 1 Jul 1674 and died 1729. She married twice: First Othaniel Hagget/Haggat and second (Rev.) Henry Gibbs. She only had children by her first husband: Othaniel (c1704), Nathaniel (c1706), Mary (1707) and William (c1708).
Sarah Middlecott was born 1678 and died 1764. She married Boston 26 Mar 1702 Louis Boucher and they had Ann (1703-1736 m. Nathaniel Cunningham), Sarah (1705-1771 m. John Foye), Mary (1708 d.y.), Mary (1710 d.y.), Lewis (1713 d.y.) and Jane (1716).
Jane Middlecott was born Boston 18 Jun 1682 and died Sep 1743. She married Boston 7 Jan 1702 Elisha Cooke (II) and they had Elisha (1703-1706), Middlecott (1705), Elizabeth (1708-1725), Sarah (1711-1740), Elisha (1716), Jane (1717 d.y.), Jane (1719 d.y.), Jane (1721) and Mary (1723 m. Richard Saltonstall & Benjamin Harrod).
- Leiden had already switched to New Style dating. This would be 11 Jul 1615 in England
- Mayflower Descendant 11:129
- TAG 27:1-6, 37:212-17
- Volume 15
- last generation published in this volume
- It is possible she was the Hannah Prisbry who died at Taunton 20 Sep 1763. If so, then she never married.
- will of her brother, John Winslow
- Some sources state Myles had two daughters before his early death: Sarah (1661 unknown if ever married) and Mary (1662-1722 m. John Andrew[s]) Neither of these children are found in the Myles Standish Society database.
References & External Links
- Wakefield, Robert S. (revising work by Robert M. Sherman & Verle D. Vincent), Mayflower Families through Five Generations (Vol 15: James Chilton and Richard More) General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA (1997)
- Roser, Susan E., Mayflower Passenger References (from contemporary records & scholarly journals), [www.stewartbooks.com Stewart Publishing & Printing] Canada. Second edition, 2015
- Anderson, Robert Charles, The Mayflower Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth, 1620 New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA (2020) pp. 58-61
- wikipedia article on James Chilton
- Caleb Johnson's biography of James Chilton
- Mayflower Heritage and History biography of James Chilton
- Find-a-grave wiki on James Chilton
- Plymouth Sketches 1620-1627
- Familypedia wiki on James Chilton
- wikitree wiki on James Chilton
- geni.com wiki on James Chilton's wife
- FamilySearch wiki on Mrs. James Chilton
- online Chilton mtDNA tree (with Winslow Y DNA as well)